Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Alarm going off whenever Remote key fails and I use the key to enter

Sarah1977

Hi, I am hoping someone has some answers because I am really stumped.

My remote key fails to operate at my new address. Initially I thought the Battery might be the issue

but it remains an issue. My sister said could be a strong wifi signal or that my computer software is out of date

when remote fails and I have to use the key the alarm goes off, it's really frustrating 

thx

Unfortunately the law regarding wireless transmissions states that the systems fitted in cars cannot interfere with or block other transmissions, if your keys work fine elsewhere then there is some form of transmission blocking your keys signal nearby your new house. Correcting this can be a nightmare as Toyota can do nothing to prevent it, finding the source of the transmission can be a total pain and depending on the source may not be preventable 

• Like 2

Sources which may interfere with your fob's signal include someone's wifi (ie a router operating on a similar frequency), video sender, wireless door bells, National Grid transmissions, emergency services or armed forces communications equipment including masts, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, very helpful, yet I was afraid this would be the case as where I am situated now it would be almost impossible to find the source of the interference.

My key worry (pun) is that I am going to give birth in the coming months and for me to startle my baby every time I open the door using the key is going to be a nightmare. I cannot understand why using the key sets off the alarm. 😔

My sisters suggestion ..that this could be due to low Battery or that my software hasn't been updated for two year? Does this ring true to anyone? 

Apparently you can get a dealer to get the auto locking feature disabled...but then my fob would be useless everywhere not just at home...so if hands full etc. it will be another annoyance to put up with.

Could try individually turning off any equipment you have (router, etc) one at a time, and then trying unlocking the car to see whether that may be the cause.

• Like 1

UPDATE 

Ok...spoke to local Toyota dealership, the service department gent told me that I must open with the key and lock it with the key to avoid the alarm sounding. There is nothing that I can disable that will improve this issue. My only hope would be to find the source if the interference. So there we have it.

8 hours ago, Sarah1977 said:

UPDATE 

Ok...spoke to local Toyota dealership, the service department gent told me that I must open with the key and lock it with the key to avoid the alarm sounding. 

locking with the mechanical key does not set the alarm hence it wont go off ...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links