Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement HIDs and ballasts just as bad as old ones

Spotteddotterel

Hi everyone,

After some input over my headlight issue. Car is 2004 avensis station wagon/ estate

Low dipped headlights were very dim, to the point that it was as if i only had side lights on.

Recently had my low dipped bulbs and ballasts replaced with a local auto electrician going off of their recommendation as to what the issue was.

$580 later (new zealand)

After picking it up and expressing my concern that there wasn't an improvement they now say its the inside reflector of the lense that is the issue and recommend a replacement of the entire headlight. I wanted to compare or test the old ballasts as i thought they may not have needed replacing at all. But they had cut the wires between the ballast and plug.

My questions are,

1. Are there different hid bulbs that would output a brighter light than others that i could have them swapped for?

2. If it is the inside of the lense that is damaged/dirty, is it really necessary to replace the entire headlight?

3. Is there a way to test if the old ballasts were infact faulty

Thank you

Pete.

20170711_101954.jpg

Hi Pete unfortunately the lights on these cars are terrible. You probably would have to either live with it or spend money on new headlamp's and fit them yourself if capable.you can even try to source the projector bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I had the same issue with my HID light on my avensis on the right hand side. I took it to toyota and they had a look and said the wattage was fine but it might be the lens and wanted to take it apart. But if they couldn't fix it i would need a new one which was going to be expensive.

We looked around and found that you can get non HID lights second hand and they plug straight in (whole light with casing not the bulb and you have to change both) My partner took the bumper off and unplugged the old ones and plugged the new ones in 10 minute job. 

The headlights are amazing now. 

I recommend you call toyotaz galore in Auckland if you are in nz to see their prices. 

Or I have a left hand HID light for sale. 😊

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links