Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Ventilation - Gen 2 & 3

Berengaria

My Avensis has a rather annoying trait that the default setting of the interior fan when first switched on after starting the engine is to always in air recirculate mode. This means that when the temperature setting is already at 'low'  (i.e. blowing through air at the outside temperature), I have to press the air recirculate button every time I start the car so that fresh air from outside can be blown in.

Is this the case in the Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius?

Typically, a climate control unit should first switch on in the last used setting. The Avensis does for temp, air con and direction, but at anything less than say 19c outside temperature the air recirculate light activates.

Yes, it is really annoying. I don't understand why, as it seems to involve excessive fan speed and very inefficient heating /cooling.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 didn't have this feature.

The climate control on a Nissan I had had this feature. Basically it was to prevent cold air being drawn into the cabin until the cabin reached a particular temperature, then it switched to fresh air. On hot days recirc air cools quicker than drawing fresh hot air into the cabin

• Like 1

You can get the dealer to change this behaviour with their computer (or DIY if you have the tools to access the OBD [on board diagnostics] port)

Cheers - I take it then that both these models of Prius 'suffer' from his counter-intuitive feature?

Can this setting really be changed? My dealer & Toyota customer services both told me that this was hard wired and couldn't be changed on the Avensis at least.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:35 PM, Berengaria said:

Cheers - I take it then that both these models of Prius 'suffer' from his counter-intuitive feature?

The gen3 prius doesn't have this feature (my 59 gen3 and my 13 plugin) . The air circulation stays where you left it when you switched off.

However, when the car is powered up, if you have AUTO on or hit front screen demist or turn A/C on it can switch between inside and outside air.

• Like 1