Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking Brake Operation Gen 2 & 3

Berengaria

Just wondering if someone could explain how then parking brake operates for both the Gen 2 and Gen3 models?

I'm under the impression that a separate foot pedal activates it mechanically (like in an older Mercedes), and that an electronically operated switch releases it via pressing a button on the dash?

Not quite - it's just the pedal.  It's more or less where the clutch pedal would be on a manual car.

When the brake is off, pressing it produces a number of clicks, like pulling a handbrake lever without pressing the button.  When the foot is removed the pedal stays down and the brake is on.  To release, press the pedal again, it clicks once, and when you remove the foot the pedal comes fully up and the brake is off again.

There is a button next to the transmission selector marked "P", this just activates the transmission park mode.

Thanks PeteB - that explains it.

As Pete has said. I seldom use the parking brake unless on a very steep hill, Park is normally suffiecient.

Does  the transmission parking button activate a motor to put the brake on, or just a manual mechanism, like in a traditional automatic?

53 minutes ago, Berengaria said:

Does  the transmission parking button activate a motor to put the brake on, or just a manual mechanism, like in a traditional automatic?

No, as mentioned its a gearbox lock only, just like park on most automatics. The parking brake is a standalone system which isn't linked in any way shape or form.

I must admin that, having experienced the automatic electronic parkign brake on some Lexus Hybrids and the Toyota C-HR, I'm surprised they didn't add it to the Gen 4 Prius given all the other updating they've done.  It really works brilliantly with the Hybrid system.

If set to Auto, whenever the transmission "P" is selected, it engages the parking brake, and selected D or R disengages it automatically.  If the "Hold" button has been selected, whenever the car comes to a stop, it keeps the brakes on until the accelerator is pressed again, with no power taken from the Hybrid system.  I'm not sure if it uses the parking or service brake for this, but it really adds another level of calmness to the drive.

Don't know about in Toyota/Lexus implementations, but those automatic parking brakes often cause trouble in other cars. You don't really need the parking brake every time you put it into P, so it may cause unnecessary wear. I'm sure it's also a pain if you ever experience a flat 12V Battery and need to get towed.

The Hill Assist function in my Prius works fine when I need it. I assume it's using the service brakes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links