Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Doors open warning comes on after rain

meself

Hi,

Recently my 2006 Corolla has developed a fault where the doors-open warning light comes on after it has been raining, and goes off after a day or two of dry weather.  At the same time, there's another electrics based fault where the key-in-ignition alarm comes on as soon as I put the key in the ignition, and not the usual case of when the key has been inserted and moved to the position of switching on the electrics (e.g. for my diesel it's the position of warming the oil).  Both these flaws occur after it has been raining, and disappear after a day or two of no rain. Is there an obvious place I should be looking for where this problem's occurring?

TIA,

M

41 minutes ago, meself said:

Hi,

Recently my 2006 Corolla has developed a fault where the doors-open warning light comes on after it has been raining, and goes off after a day or two of dry weather.  At the same time, there's another electrics based fault where the key-in-ignition alarm comes on as soon as I put the key in the ignition, and not the usual case of when the key has been inserted and moved to the position of switching on the electrics (e.g. for my diesel it's the position of warming the oil).  Both these flaws occur after it has been raining, and disappear after a day or two of no rain. Is there an obvious place I should be looking for where this problem's occurring?

TIA,

M

The door open warning problem is probably one of the door or boot switches, which are usually mounted somewhere on the door frame like this.

download.jpg.31886157178b2fe71770018991bca50d.jpg

The water could be shorting the switch, because it is entering through a split rubber cover which surrounds the switch. You may have one of these switches on all four doors plus the boot, so check them all.

Many thanks for the reply. I'll have a go at checking the switch seals, though I can't actually locate the one for the boot :blush:

1 hour ago, meself said:

, though I can't actually locate the one for the boot :blush:

Seems to be an integral part of the locking unit on the hatchbacks.

• 1 month later...

So, I put a thin sliver of blu tack around the driver's door switch, and since then the problem has stopped. Hence, it appears that that was where the moisture was creeping in.

Best,

M

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links