Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid icon plus 2014

Sofia

What this is called? Do I need to top up? From where I can buy? The toyota dealer is far away and I can't drive up to him by myself. I am a new dirver. I bought mats for 53 pounds from online toyota store. I never had car before and I had not checked engine oil before.

I can't take dip stick out. Do I need to pull it out really hard?

20170715_054003.jpg

20170715_053907.jpg

It's the coolant expansion reservoir. As the coolant, which keeps your engine at an efficient temperature, flows around the hot engine, it expands slightly. Because the engine cooling system is basically sealed, the expanded fluid needs to go somewhere, so flows into the expansion reservoir. If the system didn't have one of these, then the pressure would become so great that it would probably burst out somewhere. A bit like a pressure cooker!

The level of fluid should be between the two markers on the side of the reservoir, when the engine is totally cold. I check mine when the car hasn't be used for about half a day, to get an accurate reading.

As your car is still under warranty, if the level goes below the bottom marker, then take it to a Toyota dealer to check out. An engine should never lose coolant unless it has a leak.

The dipstick is a pain. Try pulling it directly upwards and not at an angle to the tube that it goes in. After you pull the first half centimetre out, past the rubber bung, it gets easier.

Hi, I thought that photo was the coolant for the inverter electrics. The engine coolant is next to the radiator and the level is really hard to determine.

• Like 1

The reservoir pictured is the power control unit coolant reservoir - and engine coolant reservoir is situated almost directly opposite at the front of the vehicle. Both reservoirs use Toyota super long life coolant and both have similar levels (F- full and L - low), Ideally neither should be above the F level or below the L level.

Page 476 of the full owners manual refers to both reservoirs - the full owners manual may be downloaded from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

• Like 1

Oooops, my bad, what they said lol.

You fancy hybrid owners :tongue:

8 hours ago, fordulike said:

It's the coolant expansion reservoir. As the coolant, which keeps your engine at an efficient temperature, flows around the hot engine, it expands slightly. Because the engine cooling system is basically sealed, the expanded fluid needs to go somewhere, so flows into the expansion reservoir. If the system didn't have one of these, then the pressure would become so great that it would probably burst out somewhere. A bit like a pressure cooker!

The level of fluid should be between the two markers on the side of the reservoir, when the engine is totally cold. I check mine when the car hasn't be used for about half a day, to get an accurate reading.

As your car is still under warranty, if the level goes below the bottom marker, then take it to a Toyota dealer to check out. An engine should never lose coolant unless it has a leak.

The dipstick is a pain. Try pulling it directly upwards and not at an angle to the tube that it goes in. After you pull the first half centimetre out, past the rubber bung, it gets easier.

Thank your David,

I manage to take out the dip stick and checked engine oil. Yes, 1 inch had yellow rounding when they were released it was easy. I also found USB port in the glove box, I was trying to find it. I also checked windscreen washer reservoir and some water in it.

Thank you very much to all. I have not burned single liter of petrol yet. As I am tarvelling to work which is 1.3 mile from my home so EV mode works as don't dive above 30mph. The tank which dealer fully filled is as it is. The needle hasn't come down.

5 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Hi, I thought that photo was the coolant for the inverter electrics. The engine coolant is next to the radiator and the level is really hard to determine.

Yes, Mike my brother looked at it through a video call. He also told me that engine coolant is next to radiator and it says on the black cap coolant and white bottle goes down which is hard to see, it also has a bit dark pink liquid in it.

16 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Thank your David,

I manage to take out the dip stick and checked engine oil. Yes, 1 inch had yellow rounding when they were released it was easy. I also found USB port in the glove box, I was trying to find it. I also checked windscreen washer reservoir and some water in it.

No probs, make sure you take a look at the posts above from Mike J. and FROSTYBALLS, as I was wrong about your first pic being the engine coolant reservoir.

3 hours ago, Sofia said:

I also found USB port in the glove box, I was trying to find it.

My 2012 Yaris has a cooled glove box, The 2014s may also have it - the inside right of the glove box has a slider which opens to the air conditioning ducts. I don't use it and it is omitted on new cars.

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The reservoir pictured is the power control unit coolant reservoir - and engine coolant reservoir is situated almost directly opposite at the front of the vehicle. Both reservoirs use Toyota super long life coolant and both have similar levels (F- full and L - low), Ideally neither should be above the F level or below the L level.

Page 476 of the full owners manual refers to both reservoirs - the full owners manual may be downloaded from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

The dealer gave me a tiny slip from I think v5 document. He said that it is proof of being a registered owner or that "you are the owner of the car". I don't remember exact words. He showed me V5 document which has first owner's details on it. I think said he would be sending it to DVLA. How long would it take me to get v5 dcument?

I could not register for my toyota because it asks me to verify the vehicle by entering first section of version code which is on V5 document and date of acquisition.

This car is still under original toyota warrany which will expaire in January 2019. It was registered on 31 January 2014.

I got toyota smart insurance for dents and chips and also toyota gap insurance. Then I bought aviva insurance as normal. So I tried to stay fully protected.

In my experience with various previous cars, the V5C didn't take any longer than 3 weeks to come back from DVLA.

3 weeks was worst case for me though and usually arrived much quicker. Suppose it all depends on if staff have just had a resupply of Hobnobs and teabags :biggrin: