Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Mileage Camry

dsuk

I am looking to buy a 1993 Camry 2.2 Estate (Wagon) Auto that has covered 175,000 miles.

It has been regularly serviced but that mileage frightens me. The car is costing about £600 ($1000 US) is this reasonable. The body is ok (just usual parking scuffs and dings) and mechanicals seem ok, just a couple of things like possible air-con recharge and central locking switch on the drivers door not working. I do not expect to do more than 10,000 - 20,000 miles in the car, is the 2.2 engine and auto transmission up to this kind of mileage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated from both sides of the pond!!

Well, I'm a proud owner of a 92 Camry DX with a 5-speed manual tranny that my parents kindly thought would be a great graduation present after college, or rather the lack of car payments would be. It had 179,000 miles on it. I was figuring I'd drive it for 10-20k, like yourself, until I found a decent enough paying job to buy something else. Well, that was almost 60,000 miles ago.... She's at a little under 239,000 and still running strong. There's some suspension work that needs doing (rear bushings, struts, etc), but dad took it out for some errands the other day and said the engine still runs as smoothly as it did the day he bought it almost 13 years ago! I've put a couple thousand into it over the past few years, but most of it was general upkeep (new timing belt and water pump, brakes after 120,000 miles, relatively expensive parts but well past what anyone thought they would be...). Every mechanic I talk to is stunned at how good the car still looks for the mileage on her.

She's been great, and I'm actually looking at another newer one now even though I could look at something else. Never had to worry about this car.

Take care, and good luck.

Nick

Oh, and Camrys hitting that kind of mileage in the states would still run about $2500-3000.

• 9 years later...

My Camry has 285,000 Miles and is still running strong even in the frigid subzero temperatures in Wisconsin, USA I couldn't be happier. Still getting 30+miles per gallon and no rust.