Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Old Yaris

sproutdreamer

Thinking of getting a Yaris as a second car to an Avensis. Quite an old one perhaps 02-05 and needs to be an automatic. Some tips on what to look out for would be helpful.

I am assuming the 1.0 is pretty uinder powered as an auto and I would need a 1.3. Is that the case? I have looked through the Yaris Forum and have not picked up any recurring problem threads but I am sure they must be there and I have just not spotted where there are problems. Also mileages where problems start to show and are there any structural rusting problems?

Thanks for any info and advice!

1.3 Auto would be ideal.

Rust:  rear suspension, brakes ALL coil springs (just had ours break a rear one). petrol filler pipe tank to filler.. 

Radiators wear, corrosion. coolant leaks near water pump.

Basically buy the best you can .. lots still under 50k miles.. So history? Do not buy..

• 1 month later...

Well Madasafish you certainly know your Yaris's. I just bought one, a04 T Spirit  that has MOT advisories for all rusty coil springs, does seem a little rusty unerneith and I think I will fit new front discs. But 45k and mechaniclly sound and with 7 service stamps. The upper bodywork and inside is excellent and a little work and £120 should do the springs and front discs. Hopefully a good local runabout for a few years

Thanks for coming back. I sprayed my rear springs (after replacing the broken one) with Dinitrol  4941  - and all the other rusty bits as well...

Interesting, the body beam under the back (goes from side to side) with what looks to be a tie/tracking or stability round bar inside the open box section all looks a bit rusty. I have never had much success with rust inhibiters. I will look up Dinitrol. Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links