Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are aygo clutches hight

Dereklad

Hello ive had my 2006 aygo for a few weeks now and absolutley love the little thing..

quick question, are aygo clutches  inherently high,ive got aygo vvti 2006 and the clutch bite seems a bit high,infact a stalled it first time today at the lights..just asking..it just seem a bit awkwardly high to me..

Driven a 2006 model and now my 2012 Aygo, and both have high biting points. I find that having the seat back as far as I can safely/comfortably live with helps. You'll get used to it.

Has yours got a rev counter, as that can help too?

Yep I now stall cars with low biting clutches! :huh:

They are high but check the free play-this must be 23mm +/- 5mm.   To check, push clutch pedal down with hand until you feel firm resistance-this should be the free play-it will wear the clutch quickly if not adjusted correctly, and also lowers the bite point if there is no freeplay

Hi,

I have driven different generations of petrol Aygos and yes, all had in common a high biting point.

Until the very last millimeters, nothing happens while you release the clutch pedal :D

It takes some time to get used to it and to be able to adjust the acceleration properly.

15 minutes ago, zuh said:

Hi,

I have driven different generations of petrol Aygos and yes, all had in common a high biting point.

Until the very last millimeters, nothing happens while you release the clutch pedal :D

It takes some time to get used to it and to be able to adjust the acceleration properly.

Definitely. I still have the odd occasion at junctions, where if I want to get a quick getaway, I over rev due to the clutch not being out fully.

Only happens when If I'm having a lazy clutch day though, so I would say these cars need a little more concentration than most for smooth clutch operation.

20 hours ago, fordulike said:

I would say these cars need a little more concentration than most for smooth clutch operation.

Absolutely!

I also over rev, some times, for example on a hill start, after a long time not driving my Aygo or after driving a diesel...

And the engine sound does not help. It is almost silent when idle and suddenly roars :D

My girlfriend is driving her diesel car with all kinds of shoes (heels, thick soles...). In an Aygo, it is impossible, you need to wear thin soles :D

40 minutes ago, zuh said:

Absolutely!

I also over rev, some times, for example on a hill start, after a long time not driving my Aygo or after driving a diesel...

And the engine sound does not help. It is almost silent when idle and suddenly roars :D

My girlfriend is driving her diesel car with all kinds of shoes (heels, thick soles...). In an Aygo, it is impossible, you need to wear thin soles :D

I went from driving a diesel to an Aygo, and the biggest difference was reverse parking on my drive. The diesel needed no revs at all, and the lower clutch bite meant reversing was a doddle. The Aygo is a different kettle of fish though. I know what you mean with the engine roar though. It sounds sportier than the looks suggest lol.

Yes, reverse maneuvers and low speed maneuvers are harder than on diesel engines where you can move without using the accelerator. It may seem paradoxical that city cars are so hard to drive in town ^^

It's a shame Toyota (PSA) never really ironed out the bugs in the MMT, otherwise I would have bought that version. Not sure if the 2014+ Aygo has the MMT or another type of automatic gearbox. X-shift I think it's called.

Hopefully, someone could provide some info on whether this is the case or not.

2 hours ago, fordulike said:

It's a shame Toyota (PSA) never really ironed out the bugs in the MMT, otherwise I would have bought that version. Not sure if the 2014+ Aygo has the MMT or another type of automatic gearbox. X-shift I think it's called.

Hopefully, someone could provide some info on whether this is the case or not.

Yes the 2014 mk2 version has the X shift as I have one. Still has the same bug as the MMT though with the flashing N. They have slightly improved the smoothness of the gears although 1 and 2 are still jerky. 

18 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

Yes the 2014 mk2 version has the X shift as I have one. Still has the same bug as the MMT though with the flashing N. They have slightly improved the smoothness of the gears although 1 and 2 are still jerky. 

I second that: My 2016 Aygo's X-Shift transmission is fine for city driving - especially in heavy traffic - but one can definitely feel the 1st-2nd gear changes. The rest seem smoother for some reason. I have faced the flashing N issue since its first hundreds of miles but I find it normal (I have an issue with R not engaging in my wife's manual Opel Corsa). X-Shift is convenient but not perfect...  

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 8:33 PM, fordulike said:

Driven a 2006 model and now my 2012 Aygo, and both have high biting points. I find that having the seat back as far as I can safely/comfortably live with helps. You'll get used to it.

Has yours got a rev counter, as that can help too?

No i havent got a rev counter but i know what you mean..kinda giving it loads of revs to compensate for the high clutch..

well sureley clutches can be adjusted no?

i drive a big ugly crewcab wagon at work and that clutch was playing up,but after adjustment its nice and smooth just like a car now..

13 hours ago, Dereklad said:

well sureley clutches can be adjusted no?

It's recommended on the Aygos to adjust the clutch only to the manufacturer's spec. Otherwise they can suffer an early demise.

On 24/07/2017 at 8:57 AM, Pytheas said:

I second that: My 2016 Aygo's X-Shift transmission is fine for city driving - especially in heavy traffic - but one can definitely feel the 1st-2nd gear changes. The rest seem smoother for some reason. I have faced the flashing N issue since its first hundreds of miles but I find it normal (I have an issue with R not engaging in my wife's manual Opel Corsa). X-Shift is convenient but not perfect...  

I find the X-shift quite good considering it's an automated manual. Downshifts when slowing down go mostly unnoticed and gear changes most times are as smooth as I could manage in a manual box and not having a clutch is brilliant.

I did have problems with the flashing N as I was putting into N every time I stopped at lights (I originally read that leaving it in E when stationary slips the clutch but I now know that's not the case) but I no longer do that now and it's been much better.

Hills can sometimes confuse it though as it can change down unnecessarily and sometimes it labours the engine in 2nd gear but all in all it's better than what I've read about on forums, so far...

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

just got back to manual, using 2017 Aygo X-Style, already felt more of a challenge because of the high clutch, not sure If adjusting it is required or just get used to it?