Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 06' 2l D-4D 1CD-FTV engine rattle noise

WherE mE weeD

Hi club,

My Avensis has a rattle noise which sounds like a few nuts rattling around in a metal box :huh:

It doesn't sound too nice, it has been going on for around a year now. my uncle owned the car before me.

It sounds like its coming from the alternator belt pulley system area of the engine. I was thinking maybe bearings away in a pulley but its hard to say.

Funny note when i turn on the air con the rattling noise disappears only to make a noise very seldomly. This makes me think its not as serious as a loose timing chain or tensioner.

Any advice muchly appreciated as the rattling can make the car seem like shes for the scrap but in reality she is a lovely running motor :biggrin:

the 1CD is a belt-driven engine - has the belt been changed in it's 11 years?

• Like 2

It sounds like that it is from the A/c kompressor. And that is normal for variable compressor type for the Avensis.

Normally the sounds stops the higher the pressure/use of the a/c

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

the 1CD is a belt-driven engine - has the belt been changed in it's 11 years?

Hi Heidfirst the belt was changed in 2014. this is good news because the noise coming from the engine definately sounded like a metal rattle. 

3 hours ago, HartmannX said:

It sounds like that it is from the A/c kompressor. And that is normal for variable compressor type for the Avensis.

Normally the sounds stops the higher the pressure/use of the a/c

Hi HartmannX
So to put simply the air compressor tank, when its depressurized there is something rattling about inside it?

Is there any quick fixes that will remove the noise until fixed properly.

ATM i have to have the AC on all the time and i cant help but think its burning extra diesel lol

Sometimes the pulley rubber mount can get weak. So inspect that.

If the sound is very loud, and you can locate it to the Ac compressor. Then replace it.

If pulley is ok and the sound is not too loud, then see how it goes from now on.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

A couple of ways to help diagnose the noise. With engine off see if there is play with any of the pulleys, especially the crank pulley which has a rubber filling to damp the vibrations. This filling can fail causing the inner and outer parts to separate.

The other test is to turn on the A/C to see if the rattle stops. If the rattle stops then the A/C clutch has failed. If the A/C has other issues, then a by-pass belt is required.

Other causes to the rattle needs to be traced by ear. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links