Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought 2010 Auris - a little unsure...

Babbler

Picked up my Auris 2010 SR  V Matic yesterday - paid around £5k (25k miles on clock full service etc).

Having doubts that I picked the right car now - despite having a good drive before purchase :(. 

1) Car seems fairly high on fuel consumption - full tank computer says 285 miles fuel (came from a seat 2002 which did more...) and MPG on motorway says around 32mpg? Sound right? Seems to be around 3000 reves on the revs in 6th gear most the way.

2) Found a bit of water in the boot below the carpet - not much but now worried I have the ingress issue (car came with dealer warranty but not a Toyota one). Only found out about this after googling... will Toyota help with this / how much will they charge??

3) Its a bit bumpy! (didn't seem it when I test drove it but then always the way once you own a car and notice these things!).

4) Has DAB button but no DAB radio - is it easy to get this working / expensive to fit?

5) I think it has a DMF? Is this a bad thing?? Any reports of failures etc on this model?

Was hoping to keep the car for at least 5 years but just wondered if Ive made right choice? And anything else I should look for in the next 3 months whilst I have the warranty? 

Thanks!

The fuel consumption information will be based on usage to date, and will be partly based on driving style, etc. So either zero the multi information display or disconnect the Battery for 30 mins to reset things.

The DAB button is there for when the DAB module is fitted. Not sure of current prices, but a Toyota dealer should be able to advise or there is eBay.

As regards the possible leak, could be coming from the vents behind the rear bumper or the rear lights - where the seals may have perished. New seals or sealant may correct. A Toyota dealer may help with this but would be chargeable. I would be inclined to return to the supplying dealer as they have a responsibility under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and get them to address the issue.

• Like 2

The range is appallingly bad until you get to about half full then for every 10 miles you do the range might only drop 6. That's my finding on an 08 diesel sr auris. People say about resetting it and it learning and adjusting. Well 100,000 miles later mine still tells me when I fill it that I've a range of about 350 miles when I know for a fact I'll hit at least 490 before a fuel light comes on so probably have nearer 550 or so. 

My boot has stayed dry in my ownership although maybe the previous owner sorted that. I assume it suffered too as the leather case for the brace etc was covered in mould so must have been seriously damp for quite a while. 

About the suspension yeah it's hard. You hit a bump or ramp or something and you almost wince in pain for the car as it bangs up through it. Funny I was just over a rough bit of road couple of days ago and the better half didn't even realise it had been poorly filled leaving two big ridges. Her car she didn't feel or hear it but on mine it was the usual jolt through the car! You get used to it though. It's not particularly uncomfortable but I cringe when I hear the thuds as it sounds like you're trying to destroy the car!

• Like 1

Thanks... am hoping I get to like it... bought it for reliability as my last car (ibiza 2002) was great when it worked... but had lots and lots (and lots) of issues! 

Assuming I shouldn't worry about the DMF then? Anything else to check whilst under warranty? Don't want to keep ringing the dealer want to get a list of "snags" together.

Would changing the alloys (in a couple of years when I can afford it!) down to 16s help? 

Would have bought a TR but was on tight timelines and not many about that met my budget / mileage requirements in my area.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Babbler said:

Picked up my Auris 2010 SR  V Matic yesterday - paid around £5k (25k miles on clock full service etc).

Having doubts that I picked the right car now - despite having a good drive before purchase :(. 

1) Car seems fairly high on fuel consumption - full tank computer says 285 miles fuel (came from a seat 2002 which did more...) and MPG on motorway says around 32mpg? Sound right? Seems to be around 3000 reves on the revs in 6th gear most the way.

2) Found a bit of water in the boot below the carpet - not much but now worried I have the ingress issue (car came with dealer warranty but not a Toyota one). Only found out about this after googling... will Toyota help with this / how much will they charge??

3) Its a bit bumpy! (didn't seem it when I test drove it but then always the way once you own a car and notice these things!).

4) Has DAB button but no DAB radio - is it easy to get this working / expensive to fit?

5) I think it has a DMF? Is this a bad thing?? Any reports of failures etc on this model?

Was hoping to keep the car for at least 5 years but just wondered if Ive made right choice? And anything else I should look for in the next 3 months whilst I have the warranty? 

Thanks!

I have an Avensis but some aspects of the Auris are similar, so I will answer some of your points.

1.  Frosty beat me to it and is correct. Reset the consumption computer. The car is geared a bit low, but the earlier 5 speed is worse! My old 5 speed Mk1 Avensis is geared similar to your Auris, and my current far more relaxed in the mid to upper 2000's at similar speeds.
  2. Put some kitchen towel higher up, but again Frosty has covered this.
  3. The SR is supposed to be a bit sporty, hence the firm suspension and low profile tyres. My Avensis is a little firm too. I hear the Honda Civic has a very ride too.
  4. Again Frosty has answered this. My car has the DAB which also functions as AM button on the Avensis. No DAB module fitted.
  5. Since you have a petrol, the clutch is single dry plate using the exact same parts . The slave unit is part of the bearing - I call it concentric slave bearing. I had the clutch changed a few months ago so have some photos so you know - 

20170427_151738.thumb.jpg.66507f3c874b87aca7260cb07613febf.jpg20170427_151814.thumb.jpg.5725bd9d603656a4aaadc065d6a5e4e3.jpg

The clutch and pressure plate which is standard Valeo unit.

20170427_152204.thumb.jpg.1c878a4e550eb4de9dc7988d31bc2c91.jpg

The concentric slave bearing which is a gearbox off job to change. Best to change as the time as the clutch.

When I bought my Avensis, a few things needed to be done including the air and cabin filters, brakes all round, wipers and few few missing bits. 

You never know how well cared the car is and how it was used.

• Like 1

Thanks Konrad... hoping as its low milage I wont have to worry about DMF / Clutch in the time I use it (5 years or 75k ish)... 

NO problem James. The petrol's don't have DMF - just an ordinary flywheel. I recently changed the oil on my car, and so long as you have the correct tools, it is quite easy. I forgot to mention the spark plugs - They are Iridium Denso SC20HR11 and NEED 14mm socket to remove replace them. 

P1080231.thumb.JPG.250dcd3b574849b1853bc0834eaeb612.JPGP1080301.thumb.JPG.6bf6d4821035588d2d4fe2e47e5aa876.JPG

Spark plugs to tend to be ignored as I found out. I bought the socket from Machine Mart. 

The other tool for the V'matic is for oil filter removal -

P1000986.thumb.JPG.04c17ca922a9037c341bb458ce5e1fa0.JPG

I bought Toyota oil filter tool from eBay and as mentioned earlier the spark plug tool from Machine Mart pt no. 040824376, cost £7.19 - could get cheap online.

If you check the manual the 'preferred' oil grade is 0w20. It is more likely that 5w30 grade is used, because it is more common. I have used 0w20 since I started changing the oil.

Hope this info is useful to you. 

• Like 1

Thanks :). Hoping to not need to spend ANYTHING on it for a year as been serviced by the garage that sold it with oil change / filter / air con regas and new brake pads (as it failed mot on that point!). Not likely to service it myself so will just use toyota servicing which isnt too unreasonable price wise (quoted 180 for full service).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Babbler said:

Not likely to service it myself so will just use toyota servicing which isnt too unreasonable price wise (quoted 180 for full service).

Toyota offer two service schemes - Fixed Price Servicing, essentially for cars within the new car warranty, and Essential Care for cars outside the new car warranty (ie over five years old). So when booking a service with a Toyota dealer make sure it is under the Essential Care scheme, as it is a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

Thanks will do...

Annoying thing I've found: Ad said space save spare tyre but it was the pump thing... and ad said bluetooth integration but cant see it / find it to make it work. Little teething niggles which I didn't check to the ad when buying... 

EDIT: Also - parking sensor switch in the boot... why? lol. Strange design...

The Avensis T27 Tourer comes with space saver, but I bought a secondhand fifth alloy. I hated the space saver but it's better than the repair kit, which is useless on all but the smallest of punctures. Hopefully the repair kit and pump will get you by in most situations, but when the tyre is ripped open, you will need help!

Re bluetooth, you should have phone buttons on the steering wheel -
 media?id=9100e4683eae403c8aa2434b051ac19f With bluetooth and phone controls on the steering wheel.

media?id=9d60cf7620e44858a82c4dbb4ff3036e

No phone controls on steering wheel means no built in bluetooth

Pictures from Auto Trader.

If you see the buttons then you have to go through the convoluted procedure, of pairing the to phone. If there is no Bluetooth, you can add it various ways.       

• Like 1

Thanks. No bluetooth (lived without for 5 years what is 5 more eh?) and ad says its not necessarily accurate (great get out clause in a court of law lol).

Reverse switch in boot is funny and a tad irritating as need to remember to turn it off when driving with child that you are trying to get to sleep lol.

This rumour about the 1.6 Valvematic petrol Auris having a DMF seems to originate from the Honest John website and as far as I can tell has no truth to it whatsoever! I recently had a new clutch fitted to my 2009 1.6 Valvematic and can confirm that mine definitely has a conventional solid flywheel.

I added bluetooth to my standard Toyota radio last year with a £45 kit from eBay and it works very well.

• Like 2

Cheers... tbh dont really need blutooth as it has the aux / usb functionality and I can still use that with steering controls right? Must have a play this weekend... and as for DAB will just use my data on my phone and TunedIn... 

Oh - and does the car have a radio code? Dealer said it doesn't and hence didn't supply me with it... 

No code for the radio.

The switch in the boot will be for rear parking sensors if your car has them..

• Like 1

Ok 3 days in... getting more "used" to the car... boot however needs to be fixed as leak is definitely there! ( been a bit wet of late!!).

Also cigarett lighter doesnt fully work with my phone charger. Its not a fuse as power is there and pushing the phone adaptor in shows a light on the charger. Branded charger so not cheap pap ;)

And yes I knew it was parking sensors but strange place for the switch 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, Babbler said:

Cheers... tbh dont really need blutooth as it has the aux / usb functionality and I can still use that with steering controls right? Must have a play this weekend... and as for DAB will just use my data on my phone and TunedIn... 

If your car has USB built-in or an USB adapter via the CD changer port at the rear of the stereo, then the steering controls will work. Obviously anything connected via AUX cannot be worked using the steering controls - breaking the handheld law! 

44 minutes ago, Babbler said:

And yes I knew it was parking sensors but strange place for the switch 

The rear parking sensors of the first generation post facelift Auris, whether as part of the Protection pack or a stand alone option, were dealer fit.

My 2010 Auris SR V Matic had a swimming pool in the boot under the carpet when I bought it. It turned out to be the foam gasket seal around the light cluster (drivers side). I fitted a new gasket and applied sealant in the holes where the plastic pins push into. I also applied sealant around the plastic ventilation flap thingy on the wheel arch and re-fitted it, although I don't think it was the problem.

Anyway, it's been bone dry ever since

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all... havent had the boot fixed yet due to illness... hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about time delay but only just seen this post. When I bought my Auris 18 mths ago the dealer tried to sell me a sport model with 17in wheels.

The ride nearly killed my back with its harshness. Got the normal model with 16 in wheels and Michelin Cross Climate tyres and the ride is very acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2017 at 0:30 PM, terryirwin said:

Sorry about time delay but only just seen this post. When I bought my Auris 18 mths ago the dealer tried to sell me a sport model with 17in wheels.

The ride nearly killed my back with its harshness. Got the normal model with 16 in wheels and Michelin Cross Climate tyres and the ride is very acceptable.

Yeah - too late though... but its not that bad...

worst thing is the fuel economy... not really happy with that - 38mgp average... and I dont "floor" it either. Oh well got to live with it for a few years now... 

guess the saving I make on not having to take it to the garage lots (like my last car) will go on fuel :P

Getting it sorted next week (boot and steering click).

4 hours ago, Babbler said:

Yeah - too late though... but its not that bad...

worst thing is the fuel economy... not really happy with that - 38mgp average... and I dont "floor" it either. Oh well got to live with it for a few years now... 

guess the saving I make on not having to take it to the garage lots (like my last car) will go on fuel :P

Getting it sorted next week (boot and steering click).

I get 42-43 MPG from mine with a mix of A roads and motorways which I didn't think was too bad, I've had diesels which didn't do any better.

Are you calculating it from brim to brim fill ups or going by the dash display? I find the fuel computer on mine pretty inaccurate.