Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought 2010 Auris - a little unsure...

Babbler

I would not worry too much about the fuel consumption. See how far you go between fill-up, then how much fuel you put back. Another tip, I use fifth gear in town (nearly the same ratio as your Auris sixth gear). My shift indicator seems to encourage the use of the highest gear possible. Your car is showing more than 100 miles less than my car for range. My Avensis seems to go from full to low warning in 10 gallons/46 litres, leaving 14 litres/3 gallons in reserve. 

As a reminder to others who may read this post, The Valvematic engine will have a ticking sound on idle, because of the vacuum pump. 

The clutch is a standard and the flywheel is a single mass unit, not the dual mass flywheel found in diesel and engines with large torque. The concentric slave cylinder/bearing is the more expensive, but should be changed when the clutch is replaced.

See if changing your style of driving helps with the economy. I had to change my style from my old Avensis to the later version.  

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, yossarian247 said:

I get 42-43 MPG from mine with a mix of A roads and motorways which I didn't think was too bad, I've had diesels which didn't do any better.

Are you calculating it from brim to brim fill ups or going by the dash display? I find the fuel computer on mine pretty inaccurate.

42 MPG from my 1.6 Touring on mainly motorways and main road journeys of 10 miles or more. Both my dash reading and my long-term records agree on that. But it can go as high as 46 for some trips, or as low as 37 in town. I suspect that this is an engine that fills up with cobwebs if it isn't driven vigorously from time to time - a good motorway thrash will always raise my efficiency by 4-5 MPG. :cool: 

Brimming the tank, 44 litres is the most I've ever managed to squeeze in, and by that stage the yellow light had been on for 30 miles. By that reckoning I must have had another 50 miles still left in the tank before I ran out.

Not that running a tank completely dry is ever a good idea, of course - all that sediment at the bottom, and on a diesel it can damage your fuel pump. That's why car manufacturers always prefer to scare you into thinking that you've got less juice left in the tank than you actually have. It's also the reason why you so seldom see a car that's run out of fuel!

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/09/2017 at 9:00 AM, Countrylad said:

42 MPG from my 1.6 Touring on mainly motorways and main road journeys of 10 miles or more. Both my dash reading and my long-term records agree on that. But it can go as high as 46 for some trips, or as low as 37 in town. I suspect that this is an engine that fills up with cobwebs if it isn't driven vigorously from time to time - a good motorway thrash will always raise my efficiency by 4-5 MPG. :cool: 

Brimming the tank, 44 litres is the most I've ever managed to squeeze in, and by that stage the yellow light had been on for 30 miles. By that reckoning I must have had another 50 miles still left in the tank before I ran out.

Not that running a tank completely dry is ever a good idea, of course - all that sediment at the bottom, and on a diesel it can damage your fuel pump. That's why car manufacturers always prefer to scare you into thinking that you've got less juice left in the tank than you actually have. It's also the reason why you so seldom see a car that's run out of fuel!

Thanks for that... I tend to fill up when the light comes on and fill to the top. So that way I know the milage I get for the cost to fill from light on. Tends to be around £52 (at £1.18 / l). Still working it all out as been hectic.

On the warrante it had the seal redone on the boot and some steering dampners that needed to be replaced as they were clicking on turning the wheel.

Hoping nothing else crops up as want (well...need) to keep it for a few years...

Thanks for all the comments.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links