Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Going from 2.0 to 2.2

toyotaland

Hi all, new to the forum, owned several toyotas over the years covering Hilux, Corolla and now and avensis. I'm currently looking to sell my 54 plate avensis 2.0 d4d and I have my eyes on a 10 plate 2.2 d4d estate. Just wanted people's experience on the newer model with the 2.2 engine.

have all the issues regarding the 2.2 been sorted out on the newer models? 

Also what is the power difference like, is it a lot noticeable.

thanks in advance

Hi Robin!  I can't answer your question as to the T27 2.2 engine being all sorted, I can only tell you of my experience. I love my 2009 T180 'Spirit' (except the 'E' brake) It is a lovely drive (a little harsh over poor roads) with plenty of easy power and handles well with all the gadgets. I have not experienced any problems in the 4.5yrs. I have had it, not looking to change it anytime soon! :thumbup: Mine has not even done 40K so if you get a nice well cared for fully seviced one it should serve you well & make you smile! Hope you join the the 2.2 club! Keep us posted on what you decide, good luck. Nick

Ps. Mpg is currrently over 42 not driving like miss daisy but not wragging it either, just smooth driving around the hills of the High Peak! Doing a long M/Way trip shortly so will get 44-46mpg. I should think.

The following thread provides info on the AD engine issues - note that the dates mentioned for models affected are build dates which are different to first registration dates:

• Like 2

Thank you both for the help and advice. 

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The following thread provides info on the AD engine issues - note that the dates mentioned for models affected are build dates which are different to first registration dates:

Isn't this link related to the earlier engine in the T25?. AFAIK the Later T27 is free of this problem.

24 minutes ago, revband said:

Isn't this link related to the earlier engine in the T25?. AFAIK the Later T27 is free of this problem.

Some of the early T27s did develop it - afaik they started building launch stock T27s ~ September 2008 i.e. well before the February 2009 build date parameter.

8 hours ago, toyotaland said:

Also what is the power difference like, is it a lot noticeable.

You will be going from  ~116bhp? to ~150bhp albeit in a  heavier car but imo the 2.2 is a nicer (more flexible/relaxed) drive than the 2.0 but at the cost of being slightly thirstier (especially if you use that extra power all the time :P). The D-CAT versions are thirstier than the non- D-CATs.

35 minutes ago, revband said:

The T27 went on sale in the UK in January 2009. AD engines which could have the head gasket/oil consumption issues included those built up to and including February 2009.

You live and learn, but is it likely that the 2010 model the op asks about will be affected?.

Depends how long it was in stock for - better to be aware of the issue and check the history of the car

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Can anyone tell me how to find out the build date rather than date of registration so I can make sure. 

Has anyone had the egr and dpf deleted on this engine and a remap? 

It is illegal to delete the DPF & an instant MOT failure if discovered.

It's only recently that you have been able to get a remap for these engines rather than a tuning box.

Ok thank you. 

Any idea how to check build date? 

You never know, it may not have a DPF - I can't remember when the 2AD-FTV got 1 in the Avensis but the 1AD-FTV didn't until something like Sept/October 2010.,

35 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

You never know, it may not have a DPF - I can't remember when the 2AD-FTV got 1 in the Avensis but the 1AD-FTV didn't until something like Sept/October 2010.,

I thought it was from 2009 that all diesels had to have them?

'Modern diesel cars (since 2009) have to be fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust to stop this soot passing into the atmosphere.' Via the AA. Not sure whether this means cars registered from January 2009 or after 2009 ie. 2010? Anyone clarify? :smile:

Ok thanks will check when I go look at the car

2 hours ago, saxo265 said:

I thought it was from 2009 that all diesels had to have them?

'Modern diesel cars (since 2009) have to be fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust to stop this soot passing into the atmosphere.' Via the AA. Not sure whether this means cars registered from January 2009 or after 2009 ie. 2010? Anyone clarify? :smile:

Implementation date for new designs was September 2009 but the implementation date for all new registrations was January 2011. - fairly sure that the 1AD-FTV in the Avensis (at least for the UK) didn't get a DPF until Sept/October 2010.

• Like 1

My manual 2010 2.2 doesn't have a DPF although I believe the Auto's had them earlier.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links