Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux 2017, sticky gears

CriticalT

With my new manual 2017 Hilux, I found gear shifting very sticky at times.

This only happens after 30min driving normal road, and only coming out of a gear (not going into the gear), only gears 3 + 4 + 5 + 6.

It happens randomly, so mostly all gear shifts are smooth, requiring 2 finger pressure only. Then suddenly trying to get out of a gear I've to grip and pull with probably 5x more power to get it out, clutch fully in (annoying on the spot when trying to overtake e.g.). Other times, more commonly, it'll need 3x more power.

This then rectifies the problem momentarily and this same gear in and out goes smoothly for a while. This sticky gears shift, will happen several times during a long journey.

Toyota Ireland have not heard about this problem.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on, thanks

There is a Technical Service bulletin from Toyota which may apply / seems to be similar to your issues:

Ref: CP-0048T-0417

Subject: MRC60 Manual Transmission hard to shift out of 5 th and 6th gear after driving

Models: HILUX

Model codes: GUN125; GUN135

INTRODUCTION: This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the production change and repair method for the subject phenomenon. Applicable to 2016 model year Hilux with 6 speed manual transmission produced before the production change effective transmission serial number shown below.

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON: Some customers may experience and report difficulty when shifting out of 5th or 6th gear after driving for an extended period of time. Excess oil accumulated and remained behind the main lock ball pin. Due to this hydraulic lock condition it affects the shifting ability. Follow the Repair procedure in the bulletin to address this condition.

PRODUCTION CHANGE Shape change (flat groove) to the main lock ball pin to allow the oil to flow out

Speak to your dealer and ask them to see if bulletin applies as Toyota give specific model and build dates on the Transmission the dealer will need to see your truck to get the build information stamped into the gearbox to see if the gearbox is one of the affected units.

• 4 months later...

Devon Aygo, many thanks! for your tip-off, I got the part replaced and all smooth now

• 3 years later...

I have experienced this exact same problem today. I have a 2016 manual Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 @ 174500km's. what would be the best course of action in South Africa? 

• 1 year later...

Hi Tyson

I also have the sticky gears on my Hilux in South Africa.

Did you get a dealer to fix it?

Regards.

Erik

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links