Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2000 Avensis 1.8 Is the radio antenna Powered?

JohnP1961

I am assuming the radio antenna on my 2000 1.8 Avensis is not powered/amplified....is this correct? Just trying to get the best out of a DAB/FM splitter, I'm rigging up for my new radio

You are correct. The antenna is not powered. 

• Like 1

Thought not, cheers. Just had to make sure

I am having problems with a DAB/FM splitter....Dab On Wheels are adamant its because the Avensis Aerial is powered/amplified...how can I prove to them, its not?

Ask them what year/model/specification of Avensis? Tell them that the Mk1 T22 model from 1997-2000 used a standard radio and aerial. I think the the same with face-lift Mk1 were the same and the Mk2 T25 models. Only the Mk3 T27 may have DAB amplified aerial pre-installed, but when installing the official DAB module, it comes with it's own antenna in the kit which is fitted to the windscreen.

DAB On Wheels need to evidence an example in full detail!

I checked a few sites and can safely say that all Mk1 T22 from 1997 - 2002, have standard antenna and are not powered - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2000/avensis/zzt221r-almekw/3_273540_107_/electrical/8604_antenna

The Mk2 T25 however may have amplified antenna as shown - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_223W/electrical/8604_antenna#86300B

The Mk3 T27 also has amplfied antenna - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/electrical/8604_antenna#86101

I think that DAB On Wheels may have meant the later versions of Avensis or used some info without being thorough enough. As I said in my earlier post they need to prove which model they based their info from and detail it. Remember that the official Toyota DAB upgrade came with it's own antenna.

One thing is for certain....the Kinetic splitter I was trying to fit....just would not work on my car...it was abysmal. DabOn wheels, were adamant that it was because the FM/Aerial was powered/Amplified, although I didn't believe this for a moment. I gave up on it in the end and sent it back for a refund. I then put a DAB antenna that goes on the inside of the windscreen that I got from Halfords...that is working superbly

• Like 1

You have been busy upgrading. Better Speakers, new audio with DAB. When I had my Mk1 GLS with Sony double DIN CD/cassette/radio, I added a 10 disc CD changer, then the Connects2 iconnect USB adapter, which the CD changer worked through, the speaker upgrade, and finally the Novero Trusty One bluetooth hands-free system. Basically the Novero is similar to the Parrot MK3000, but has a louder amplifier, and handles 2 phones at the same time, one of the phones will also be the media player. I removed the Novero to install in another car as it can fit any car with ISO connections or adapter cables.
Now I have my current Mk3 Avensis, the only thing I have added is the Bluetooth/micro SD/USB adapter. The car came with bluetooth for voice calls only, and AUX for external devices, but I prefer my USB memory stick music. The Speakers are okay for now.
Any photos of your setup?    

I'll take some...although the antenna,(besides on the windscreen), microphone and Speakers are all out of site behind interior panels now...it all looks like it was factory fitted, now only sounds vastly better

If you get a chance, Konrad...look up my question on the heater controls facia

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links