Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 4 HUD and NAV

dickfineman

Hi to all,

Only recently started using my NAV in my new Plug in; was surprised that the HUD and MFD didn't show the turn-by-turn guidance which is on the central 8" screen. I checked the Toyota videos on Youtube, which are really for the Prius Prime in the US; they show how to turn on the function in the MFD settings.

So i checked this on my Plug in but there are no ways to set it up in the settings under HUD or Vehicle Settings, as shown in the US videos.

Can someone confirm what i've kind of accepted...that the UK Prius 4 is not set up for this function ? I'm very surprised if this cannot definitely be done, since the whole point of the HUD and the MFD displays is one of safety; to not have to stare at the 8" screen for too long. Do US drivers need more safety features than UK drivers ?

I would be very happy to discover that the NAV can be displayed on the HUD and MFD, of course.

Many thanks for any replys from people who have had their GEN 4s a lot longer than me.

Peter.

Sadly, the HUD hasn't shown the navigation info since the Gen2, and I think later versions of that may have been without.

However, the  Gen4 does allow you to see turn by turn directions on the Multi-information display, which is not a bad alternative. 

25 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

... the  Gen4 does allow you to see turn by turn directions on the Multi-information display, which is not a bad alternative. 

quite right.  Use the left/right arrows on the right steering wheel group (I think the turn instructions are second item from the left), and if you see a crude compass, use the up/down to switch to the next turn instruction.

Turn instructions are only visible if there is a route planned.  You don't have to have the SatNav visible on the large centre MFD for the turns to appear on the smaller MFD next to the speedo.

Ah thanks for your replys, much appreciated. I will try it next time i'm in the car...nice to get rid of the compass and see the turn by turn on the mfd, that'll be fine. Great !

17 hours ago, Ancient Nerd said:

Sadly, the HUD hasn't shown the navigation info since the Gen2, and I think later versions of that may have been without.

However, the  Gen4 does allow you to see turn by turn directions on the Multi-information display, which is not a bad alternative. 

2010 Gen 3 (pre-facelift) had it on the HUD before they changed the Nav system in 2012 to Touch & go. On Gen 4, select compass from the MFD menus and enter a destination and the turns will show on the MFD.

Thanks Kithmo, yea i remember now, i had a Gen 3 from Oct 09 to Aug 11 and the HUD did show the Nav turn by rurn...forgot about that till you gogged my memory ! I really liked my T Spirit then, it had the Hard Drive that would copy your CDs.

6 hours ago, dickfineman said:

Thanks Kithmo, yea i remember now, i had a Gen 3 from Oct 09 to Aug 11 and the HUD did show the Nav turn by rurn...forgot about that till you gogged my memory ! I really liked my T Spirit then, it had the Hard Drive that would copy your CDs.

It had the hard drive but no USB, so no way to update the nav without going to the dealers. But I did like the turn by turn on the HUD, especially on roundabouts, as you could watch it for which exit to take without taking your eyes off the road. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links