Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless entry locking keys inside the car - getting locked out!

Konrad C

I was reading Ask Honest John and came across a subject that has happened to my brother - car self locking with the keys inside the car! https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2017-07/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-22-07-2017-part-1/
I mentioned this happening a while back - 

I also remember posting about having a spare key, because my brother bought the car for his wife with one key. The car had a problem with the steering lock, so when the car went to Nissan to fix the problem, I advise to get the second key. Nissan provided the second key and cancelled the missing key. The car self locking happened after this, and the second key rescued the situation. 

It is thought to be impossible, but having personally witnessing it (I was with my brother at the time), I would never trust the system and have the keys on my person. There could be reasons why the car does lock with the keys inside - electronic/radio interference by various items like mobile phones, contact-less cards, Wi-Fi transmitters etc. I may not have keyless entry, but if I did I would have the key on myself as I do with standard remote key - I use a waste bag (being polite) when needed. For women who have keys in the handbag, this is a more trickier situation. 

Has anyone been locked out and what are your thoughts?   

I'm not convinced it's necessarily anything to do with keyless entry. I've known two cases of this and in both it turned out to be other items in a bag or pocket by chance simply pressing against the 'lock' button on the key fob and locking the doors. 

A few weeks ago I was about to take the dog for an evening walk when I noticed that every time I bent over to tie my boot laces the hazard lights flashed on my Auris, which was parked outside the window. Bending over with the keys squashed in my pocket was causing another key to repeatedly press against the unlock button on the fob! 

• Like 1

A few years ago, on local TV, there was a news feature about cars locking and unlocking, people getting locked out etc, they put a spin on it about saying it was ghostly and maybe something to do with a haunted house locally bla bla. Turned out to be something very simple. A local cafe had installed a wifi/wireless iPad ordering system for their waitresses and it played havoc with cars parked on the street, go work that one out :lol:

Also: There is a cafe local to me, they have signs up all over the car park to check your doors and make sure the car is locked. The cafe sits at the bottom of a 180 m hill, that has a lot of transmission masts on it, that causes problems with central locking too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is rare but certainly not impossible....I used to deliver new cars, 12 at a time on a car transporter and I've had it/seen it happen a few times. I 'm talking now about cars that remote locked the car by pressing the button on the key...we put it down to radio interference from somewhere. One time, I had to wait for Ford UK to contact Genk in Belgium to get the key number so the dealer I was stuck at, could cut a new Key to get in to the car..I was there about three hours...Barrow In Furness if I remember correctly