Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaving again

frankie406

Have just bought a 2014 mazda 6 2.0 petrol cracking big car and amazing mpg.

I'm very very reluctant to get rid of the avensis great car with very little problems. So have her up for sale (again)

So a big thanks to all for the help you have given me.i'll still be a Toyota owner! Still got an auris.hope this car lasts me more than the avensis has done and more than important the week old vauxhall insignia...good luck to all and thanks again:unsure::biggrin:

• Like 1

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Best wishes Frank. I actually like Mazda SkyActiv-G technology, especially with their petrol engines. I can find no issues with these engines so far. VAG direct injection engines have had carbon issues in inlet side and valves, but I have not heard much from other manufacturers. 
Did you get the saloon or sports back? I do like the other Mazda models like the 2, 3, and CX too. The only thing missing in the range is hybrid.

Konrad :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good luck with it! :smile: I am sure that you know about https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-2013/?section=good

The 2.0 petrol Mazda 6 Tourer is on my list of potential replacements for my Avensis when that time comes.

• Like 1

Cheers heidfirst..konrad..yes had a good look around on hj and checked out a few mazda forums 1st.my choice was a white tourer but were hard to find or looking beyond my budget. The car is a 2.0 saloon.nice drive being a 146bhp it's OK not much oomph but I wasn't looking for that just as long as mpg stays up suits me fine.

• Like 1

Let us know what sort of mpg you average in it.

Certainly will!

HJ's RealMPG suggests 42mpg for an estate (which is what I would want) which is roughly what a 1.8 Avensis T27 would get.

Having had a quick look similar to petrol Avensis there are very few late plate petrol 6s around on the s/h market.

I done a 110 mile round trip and on average mpg was 55mpg @65mph the other mpg read out where it constantly changes was going from 53mpg to 57mpg so taking them readings and saying 55mpg avg.using super unleaded BP. 

• Like 1

have you done a brim to brim & worked out a manual mpg figure (preferably over mixed motoring rather than all dual carriageway/motorway etc.)?

RealMPG imo is usually in the ballpark & I don't trust onboard trip computers.

Not as yet need to have a go at that.and report back.

7 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

HJ's RealMPG suggests 42mpg for an estate (which is what I would want) which is roughly what a 1.8 Avensis T27 would get.

Having had a quick look similar to petrol Avensis there are very few late plate petrol 6s around on the s/h market.

We own a 2015 Mazda 3 petrol 2.0 auto 120bhp and it returns about 40mpg on the daily commute through traffic.  It's reasonably easy to get 50mpg on an open road with a light foot.  That particular engine is available with a higher output, but apparently it's only the mapping that's different, and according to a graph posted on one of the Mazda forums the extra horses are only available at the upper end of the rev range.  I'd need to check to be certain but I'm fairly sure the engine in the OP's car is the same one, therefore I'd suggest that 40mpg or slightly more is probably about right, considering the additional weight over our smaller lighter version.

As a side note the engine has much more low down torque than the 1.8 valvematic Avensis.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alan333 said:

That particular engine is available with a higher output, but apparently it's only the mapping that's different, and according to a graph posted on one of the Mazda forums the extra horses are only available at the upper end of the rev range.  I'd need to check to be certain but I'm fairly sure the engine in the OP's car is the same one, therefore I'd suggest that 40mpg or slightly more is probably about right, considering the additional weight over our smaller lighter version. 

Thanks for the input. The 2.0 SKYACTIV-G Petrol  in the 6 is currently available as a 145bhp (SE-L) or 165bhp (Sport Nav). Both manual transmission - no auto option available.

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2017 at 7:12 PM, frankie406 said:

Not as yet need to have a go at that.and report back.

How are you getting on with this?

Sorry for late reply. Haven't got a chance to actually check the proper mpg but the mpg matches the d4d avensis if not better my mazda 6 is the 145bhp so apparently the mpg is better/different than the 165bhp both petrol versions. I'd say mines sitting in or around 56mpg on normal unleaded will be sticking super in and give that a try also..1 thing I don't like is the electric steering I'd prefer the hydraulic like the avensis had.but need to get used to it I guess. 

• Like 1

I am impressed. What's great is that Mazda have stayed away from turbo's. I did a little research using - http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-2015/3335 and compared the fuel and mechanical specs between the 145 HP and 165 HP engines : - 

http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-skyactiv-g-2.0-145-skylease-specs/72953

http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-skyactiv-g-2.0-165-skylease-specs/72954

I noticed that the gear ratio is slightly lower in the higher powered version - I would go for the lower powered engine, because the torque is exactly the same, better economy, and the more relaxed gearing.

Now comparing the technical between the Avensis and the Mazda 6 and the Mazda though slightly larger, is also lighter. 
http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-sportbreak-skyactiv-g-2.0-145hp-ts-specs/59366

http://www.cars-data.com/en/toyota-avensis-wagon-1.8-vvt-i-aspiration-specs/64990

Used prices are similar and both are rare in petrol form.

The electronic power steering (EPS) is sign of the times. Nearly all recent cars have moved to EPS for various reasons.

• Like 1

Yeah the EPS is for economy but feels really light.the wee 2010 auris we have has also EPS but feels a bit stiffer. 

2 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Yeah the EPS is for economy but feels really light.the wee 2010 auris we have has also EPS but feels a bit stiffer. 

Reminds of the Punto which had a button for 'City' mode. Most now are linked to the ECU combining the speed. Then add the self parking feature on some cars. 
Mazda economy on petrol is amazing. Even better, no particulate filters and turbo to worry about in the future. Good option to diesel and hybrid.  

• Like 1

Yes it's economy is really brilliant for a 2.0 petrol engine.the car is a great to drive but was gutted when the avensis went :-(   I'm sure the reliability will be as good as the Toyota has been! 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 8:31 AM, frankie406 said:

Sorry for late reply. Haven't got a chance to actually check the proper mpg but the mpg matches the d4d avensis if not better my mazda 6 is the 145bhp so apparently the mpg is better/different than the 165bhp both petrol versions. I'd say mines sitting in or around 56mpg on normal unleaded will be sticking super in and give that a try also..

That does seem remarkable mpg for a 2.0l petrol. Will still be interested when you get around to doing manual brim to brim calculations but it has become moot - got offered an excellent deal on a pre-reg Avensis TS Bus Ed 1.8 - hopefully changing over next week. :)

On 12/09/2017 at 10:21 AM, Konrad C said:

I am impressed. What's great is that Mazda have stayed away from turbo's. I did a little research using - http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-2015/3335 and compared the fuel and mechanical specs between the 145 HP and 165 HP engines : - 

http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-skyactiv-g-2.0-145-skylease-specs/72953

http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-6-skyactiv-g-2.0-165-skylease-specs/72954

I noticed that the gear ratio is slightly lower in the higher powered version - I would go for the lower powered engine, because the torque is exactly the same, better economy, and the more relaxed gearing.

I believe it is the same engine, just different ECU programme. & you seem to have discovered different gearing too.

• Like 1

Yeah the mpg is fantastic going to give it a fill of BP ultimate see how better it is then.but truly brilliant for a petrol. Both 145bhp and 145bhp are the exact same same as you say it's just the ecu,of which both can be remapped to 180bhp which has me itching for a go at it also had a go with a pedal box/sprint booster type device which was crazy the car felt like it had 200bhp and was just the 145bhp version. Best of luck in your car!