Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF issues 2012 D-4D Yaris

Pearl**

5 minutes ago, 792 said:

I only use my car for short trips, when in fact I have an hour journey to work and back each day. 

Journeys of an hour or so can be short in terms of distance. For example my daily commute in Birmingham could take anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour, depending on traffic, each way - distance was approx 6.5-7 miles.

So what distance are your journeys??

What type of service for is due for your car ie full or intermediate, and when is it due.

Cant really see how that is going to help, but will stand corrected.

Neither can I, but I had said to do a full service.  I love my Yaris, but I can't afford to keep paying out these amount of money every 3 months, on top of the general running cost, for any car.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with DPF, or am I the only one.

There must be a reason the car isn't going into a regen cycle on its own, the 5th injector may have an issue or a sensor on the DPF is not reading correctly

38 minutes ago, 792 said:

Neither can I, but I had said to do a full service.  I love my Yaris, but I can't afford to keep paying out these amount of money every 3 months, on top of the general running cost, for any car.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with DPF, or am I the only one.

I hope you have read this thread right back from the beginning. All diesel car drivers built after the government said dpf had to be fitted are likely to get this problem, sometime in their life, you are not alone, nor is it just Toyota, Toyota Diesel engines are great, having to fit a dpf makes any Diesel engine not so great. 
When you next changing your car go for a petrol model, or a hybbrid car….. and Toyota do make great hybrids.

• Like 1

The way to fix most diesels is to take them on a massive hoon to get them as hot as possible, but in this case I'm not sure how much help that would be...

I would think a regular 30-ish mile journey should be enough to keep the DPF from crudding up, and being in Wales I'm assuming full of hills and gradients, that should be even more optimal for the engine!

It would be a good idea to make sure the car is actually regenerating the DPF, as as flash22 says there might be a problem with that. However it may also be the DPF actually needs cleaning or replacing - The regenerations just burn out the soot, but after a while the ash that's left, which can't be burnt, starts to build up and needs to be flushed out.

I wouldn't expect that to be a thing until the car gets near 100k miles, but I don't really know as I jumped off the diesel ship when DPFs and DMFs became a thing (And a good thing too or I'd have AdBlue to deal with too! :wacko:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally bit the bullet after 18months of issues and ecu resets and replaced my dpf for an original toyota one at a crazy price then found it was still having issues. I then decided to change the fuel filter aswell and now its running sweeter than ever. Expensive but worth it 

It's also worth a mention they also used this engine in the mini D so may be useful to have a look on there forums aswell.

• 4 months later...

I’ve had the same issue with the DPF and limp mode in my Yaris 2014 since the beginning of the pandemic and it has shaken my confidence in Toyota UK. I don’t think they operate on the same ethos as Toyota Japan given Toyotas reputation for quality. As I write this the car is in limp mode but I have a routine to fix it that works 100% of the time. 
I have an Autel OBD2 reader with an app in my phone for this. I do three things:

- clear all fault codes (there are usually two - one for low power and one for the DPF)

- manually activate the DPF on the Autel app MaxiAP200 (the option with PM)

- switch off and press brake for at least one minute 

The car comes on with/without limp mode but the DPF warning light stays on. This is good. Without this the DPF will never clear no matter how you drive. Once you drive above 40mph for some time it will clear. I’ve done this now dozens of times. I would sell the car but wouldn’t want to foist all these troubles on an unsuspecting victim. I’ll probably avoid Toyota next time. If I can I’ll import straight from Japan instead. 

1 hour ago, polarise said:

I’ve had the same issue with the DPF and limp mode in my Yaris 2014 since the beginning of the pandemic and it has shaken my confidence in Toyota UK

How often and what type of journeys was the car used for during lockdown and since? If only for short journeys, these tend to be detrimental to DPFs, regardless of manufacturer.

If the DPF is that blocked you're just making it worse - You need to get the engine good and hot for an extended period so it can heat cycle the DPF and burn off the soot, and it will need to be done several times as, if there is a lot of soot buildup, it won't be able to burn it all off in one go. It might even be the the DPF needs to be physically cleaned of it's too far gone.

If you start taking really silly long routes home from work, e.g. if you can take a circuitous higher-speed motorway/A-road route rather than a shorter slower urban route, that will give it a better chance to burn it all off.

This isn't just a Toyota problem - This is a Euro5 problem; All diesel cars Euro5 an onwards will have DPF problems if they're not driven a lot, or at least hard enough to get the engine good and hot regularly - This is why, despite being a big fan of diesels, I'd never buy one post Euro4, as a lot of my use case is sitting in city traffic which is a worst-case scenario for a DPF-equipped diesel.

• 5 months later...

I'm a senior driver with 40+ years of driving, including professional driving, prior to retirement. I've owned diesels for 25+ years but only started having problems since DPF's were introduced. ATM I own a urban cruiser and it's the smaller engines which seem to give more problems. I use to have a 1.8 diesel Ford which barely gave me any problems but I'm wondering whether the 1.4 D-4D engines are more problematic? BTW since retiring I obviously don't do the same mileage. In fact I now use a Toyota aygo (petrol) for small journeys. Eventually I will probably bite the bullet and go for a hybrid cos I'm not too confident right now in going full electric due to lack of infrastructure. I hope you all get your DPF problems sorted. Happy and safe motoring 😉

• Like 1

You can get a diesel without DPF. I did that. However, taking into account that diesels without DPFs are getting older, their taxation is increasing, and diesel fuel is likely to get even more expensive in the future, I'd avoid that. If you have to, buy a petrol. If you can, get a hybrid.

16 hours ago, kavos said:

I'm a senior driver with 40+ years of driving, including professional driving, prior to retirement. I've owned diesels for 25+ years but only started having problems since DPF's were introduced. ATM I own a urban cruiser and it's the smaller engines which seem to give more problems. I use to have a 1.8 diesel Ford which barely gave me any problems but I'm wondering whether the 1.4 D-4D engines are more problematic? BTW since retiring I obviously don't do the same mileage. In fact I now use a Toyota aygo (petrol) for small journeys. Eventually I will probably bite the bullet and go for a hybrid cos I'm not too confident right now in going full electric due to lack of infrastructure. I hope you all get your DPF problems sorted. Happy and safe motoring 😉

If you’re going to make comparisons you’ve got to make sure you’re comparing eggs with eggs so to compare an older Ford with your D4D, it has to be from the same Euro emissions group.  Ford definitely have DPF problems and everything else that goes with it (EGR and injection problems).  I’ve stopped using diesels for those very reasons.  Getting what is essentially one step up from mud to burn a clean blue flame requires a lot of processing and the resultant soot is bound to cause problems.   

The really stupid thing is we have ways of burning diesel cleanly - Ducted injection and air-blast injection to name two. I don't know why nobody thought to use air-blast, which is what the original diesel engine used, and the breakthroughs with ducted injection came just as VW single-handedly killed off diesel engines so it's unlikely to ever make it to market.

It's a pity as diesel is still far better than petrol for efficiency, and it's capable of running on a far wider range of fuels, but thems the breaks as they say.

The 1.4D4D is a very good, very reliable engine, but I wouldn't get one past the early-mid Mk2 Yaris era as that's when they started adding things to it which made it unreliable, e.g. DMF and DPF. The Mk1 only had an EGR and that was the only thing that caused me any problems while I had it.

You still can use an older diesel as you say, but only if you don't need to go near a city; If it wasn't for KHAAAAN! I'd still be using my Mk1 Yaris D4D and would have stayed on track with my saving-for-a-decent-EV plan. Older diesels will be increasingly persecuted as times go on and it's just not worth the agro.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's a pity as diesel is still far better than petrol for efficiency, and it's capable of running on a far wider range of fuels, but thems the breaks as they say.

True, but new diesels are fully equipped with all those anti-pollution equipments, that severely harm their reliability. Plus, increasing taxation and fuel prices.