Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Verso, strange handbrake issue

Maraxion

Hello.

Iv got some strange thing going on with my old 2003 verso. When pulling the handbrake I get nothing. I can adjust the handbrake to get tention but its totaly stiff and nothing goes to the wheels.

On the wheels itself(drum brakes) the wires comming in is completely compressing the springs.Almost as if the wires somewhere has snagged?
The weird thing is that since the spring is compressed I would think the handbrake should be on 100% of the time, but its loose.

The wires at the handbrake side is completely loose. So im wondering, under the car the 2 wires goes into a lid, and then a bit further back they come out from another lid. Is there anything there that can snag?

Do someone perhaps have a link to a service/repair manual for it?

spring.jpg

I suspect the self adjusters seized, followed by the handbrake cable (looking at the amount of corrosion inside the drum).

What I'd do is remove the shoes and adjusters, free everything up and squirt some penetrating oil (WD40 ain't a penetrating oil) down the inner of the handbrake cable, but I expect you'll have to replace that.

I see. The strange thing is that its the same on both sides. So I was wondering if it might be some connection under the car. On many cars there is a sentral connection there, but on this car i followed the 2 lines from the handbrake to a lid where they entered the underside of the car, and later came out again from anoter lid. Are there any connections I should check inside those compartments? 

Hi.

What Bathtub Tom has put is probably all correct, also you may well find the handbrake activating lever fitted on the rear shoe is probably seized up too in the 'on' position but not enough to stop the wheels spinning. Do one side at a time incase you forget where all the bits and pieces go, strip the shoes down and lubricate the parts and if you find the cable is seized, very likely, get one before you start the work. To test the cable get someone to sit in the car working the handbrake and see if the cable is moving inside the long spring and tell whoever is in the car to keep their foot off the brake pedal or you will pop the wheel cylinder pistons out of their housing. Get a pair of pliers and grip the pistons and just rotate them a little to make sure they are not seized as well. Myself I put a cable tie around the 2 pistons in each cylinder so they don't accidentally pop out. Mike.

" Do one side at a time incase you forget where all the bits and pieces go "

And take some pictures if possible. That usually helps if it's an unfamiliar set up.

• Like 1

Great guys il look into that.
So that means the cable is not joined somewhere under the car? Its going all the way from the divider on the handbrake back to the rear wheels as 1 cable?
So since its loose at the handbrake side its a good chance its not on the wheel side.

How do you change these wires btw the easiest way?

Ok So I got it removed exept the cable bit. Iv soaked the spring itself in penetrating oil and tryied opening it by bending to get oil inside. 
Tried pulling at the cable, no go its good and tight so il let it sit there for a while.
But bathtub tom, where did you want me to squirt the oil, inside the spring? Or somehow from the inner of the car where the cable is?

Im guessing the cable is locked in the spring or the beginning of the spring. Is the spring itself a loose itemt that I can change if I cut and replace the cable, or is it a part of the drum itself?

IMG_20170808_171419516.jpg

Hi Bernt, the cable is a separate item and what happens is water gets in through the spring, sometimes through the outer casing under the car if it has a split in it. If you are trying to free up the cable get your lubricant where ever you can and get a good pair of grips, mole grips, pliers or whatever and try to putt the very last 5mm of the inner cable to see if you can pull it trough say 5cm. Do the same to both sides, it the inner cable won't move you need to buy a new one, it is usually held to the back plate by a 'U' shaped clip from located on the rear side of the back plate. Mike.

2 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Bernt, the cable is a separate item and what happens is water gets in through the spring, sometimes through the outer casing under the car if it has a split in it. If you are trying to free up the cable get your lubricant where ever you can and get a good pair of grips, mole grips, pliers or whatever and try to putt the very last 5mm of the inner cable to see if you can pull it trough say 5cm. Do the same to both sides, it the inner cable won't move you need to buy a new one, it is usually held to the back plate by a 'U' shaped clip from located on the rear side of the back plate. Mike.

Great Mike il try that. As of now I cannot budge even 1 mm when pulling hard. Its so tight I cannot even get the end of the leverage arm its attatched to...
But is theer a split in these cables I cannot get a good answer on it. Because some of the cable is hidden under the cars floor, im unsure if the cables are 1 piece all the way from the handbrake to the drum? 

Just for curious, whats the cost of these thibgs in the UK? Vost about 62 Pound a piece in my country for those darn wires.

Hi Bernt, the inner cable has got to move easily inside the outer cable to a point you can pull it one side are see it moving on the other side. Think of when you had a push bike and the brake cables slid easily, the inner one to the outer one. I really think you are fighting a loosing battle to be honest and I politely suggest you just buy a complete new handbrake cable, saves your blood on the floor as well, lol. Sorry can't help you with the price but Toyota spares can be very expensive.Mike.

• Like 1

I can't find a dedicated Yaris Verso handbrake cable diagram, but this seems to be a typical Toyota arrangement: http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2002/corolla-verso/zze122l-fwmnkw/2_154250_010/powertrain-chassis/4601_parking-brake-cable

If you click on the 'Toyota parts' link at the top of the page, you'll be given a plethora of options for obtaining the cables you require.

Hi Bernt, above is a very good picture of what your handbrake cable set up looks like, (Nice one Bob!). Just be aware the 'P' clamps that hold to the underside may well want to shear, snap off due to rust so give the bolts a good soaking in something like this first http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/rust-removal-treatment/halfords-shock-unlock-spray-400ml there's loads of products like this one, whatever your local car spares shop sells. Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links