Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo hazard switch window switch and indicator stork

Jn888

Hi all. Ive recently bought an Aygo from auction which had some faults. Hazard switch, right indicator and drivers window  switch all not working. I searched the faults on google and come across this great forum. With this forums help I have now fixed the 3 faults above by stripping them down and cleaning the copper contacts in each item which all seem to be corroded by the lubrication toyota had used in manufacturing the items. 

How do you know the lubrication was used by Toyota? There have been issues with some models (not the Aygo) where owners have lubricated switches with an incorrect lubricant and caused problems, including a fire risk.

Yes very good point but my thinking was being such common faults its unlikely its after market lubrication has caused the corrosion. Like who strips their indicator down if its working just to grease them. Lol. With the fire issue yes I have read this too but again they probably only stipped it to cure a fault in the first place. In the long run anyone stripping the parts down to clean the faulty contacts dont used flammable, oxidizing or corrosive lubrications. I used vaseline time will tell. 

On 8/7/2017 at 8:24 PM, Jn888 said:

Yes very good point but my thinking was being such common faults its unlikely its after market lubrication has caused the corrosion. Like who strips their indicator down if its working just to grease them. Lol. With the fire issue yes I have read this too but again they probably only stipped it to cure a fault in the first place. In the long run anyone stripping the parts down to clean the faulty contacts dont used flammable, oxidizing or corrosive lubrications. I used vaseline time will tell. 

i bought a motorbike a few years back with Vaseline over every connector and exposed wire..the Battery terminals where also proper lubed up with the stuff..  at the time i thought it was really weird.. I now understand..

@AYGOSTU

Hi Stuart, it's an "Old School" thing. :wink:  Years ago a pre-winter check on our cars consisted of topping up with Anti Freeze (before the days of all year round coolant) straight into the radiator and smearing vaseline on the Battery terminals to avoid damp.....That was about it as every car driven by anybody under 30 was a "Banger". :laugh:

To be honest, on one of the first times that I opened the bonnet of my Aygo to check the oil and coolant, I dug out my little pot of vaseline and spread some on the negative terminal of the Battery....Old habits die hard, don't they?

All the best. :smile:

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, Agent Orange said:

@AYGOSTU

Hi Stuart, it's an "Old School" thing. :wink:  Years ago a pre-winter check on our cars consisted of topping up with Anti Freeze (before the days of all year round coolant) straight into the radiator and smearing vaseline on the battery terminals to avoid damp.....That was about it as every car driven by anybody under 30 was a "Banger". :laugh:

To be honest, on one of the first times that I opened the bonnet of my Aygo to check the oil and coolant, I dug out my little pot of vaseline and spread some on the negative terminal of the battery....Old habits die hard, don't they?

All the best. :smile:

you learn something new every day :) I just thought the guy was obsessed with Vaseline for some strange reason :biggrin:

I have a small tub of marmite flavor Vaseline at home. i dont think the flavor will make any difference but i will have to dig it out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links