Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlamps

Steve Whits

I have read the thread about the headlamps and have my car booked in with the dealers who want to look at the headlamps before they will consider the technical bulletin upgrade BE-0058T-0515. (I didn't realise how poor the headlights were!) 

I'm also looking at alternative bulbs but can't really find an alternative bulb so any help will be appreciated.

The car is a pre facelift model.

The second generation Auris, in common with the IQ, current Yaris and current Aygo, uses HIR2 (9012) bulbs, which are around 70-80% brighter than standard halogen. Until recently no upgrade bulbs (eg Osram Nightbreaker, Philips X-treme, etc) were available in this fitting. Osram now do an upgrade bulb which is approx 20% brighter than standard HIR2's, but there are expensive - around £35 per bulb.

9006 bulbs can be made to fit by modifying one tab on the base. For example Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110% - these will be around 30% brighter than standard HIR2 bulbs.

HID or LED bulbs will need to be E-marked to be road legal in the UK - most aren't.

• Like 1

We live in an area where the country lanes are very dark at night, and I'm afraid the only way I can get a decent light out of my headlamps (2014, HIR2 units) is to raise the headlamp aim almost all the way up to 0 on the dial. It probably says something about the light quality that nobody has ever flashed me for being too bright. :unsure: 

But that still doesn't get round the fact that the headlights don't shed any scattered light at all on the nearside kerb or bank. Going round a sharp left hand corner in the dark is a complete guessing game because everything to the left is in total blackness. I imagine that this must be a problem all over the world? An odd thing to find in the world's best selling car. :blink:

Frosty, I've used Osram Nightbreakers before on a car with halogen lights, but they didn't last long (six months) because they were designed to run very hot. Are the HIR2 Nightbreakers designed the same way?

Think together with additional brightness, the upgrade bulbs, whether they're Osram, Phillips or whatever, also produce more heat and don't last as long as standard halogen. Having said that, the Nightbreaker Unlimited do have a longer life, and in my last Auris lasted 3 years until I traded it in for my Aygo. Our i20 also has Nightbreaker Unlimiteds for both the dipped beam and steering lights, and these have been in two years now. Obviously life does depend on the number of hours used.

The HIR2 Nightbreakers are only 20% brighter than standard HIR2's, and currently they are approx £35 per bulb - which for the additional gain in brightness, don't seem to offer particularly good value: https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-cool-blue-intense-hir2-single

17 hours ago, Countrylad said:

We live in an area where the country lanes are very dark at night, and I'm afraid the only way I can get a decent light out of my headlamps (2014, HIR2 units) is to raise the headlamp aim almost all the way up to 0 on the dial. It probably says something about the light quality that nobody has ever flashed me for being too bright. :unsure: 

But that still doesn't get round the fact that the headlights don't shed any scattered light at all on the nearside kerb or bank. Going round a sharp left hand corner in the dark is a complete guessing game because everything to the left is in total blackness. I imagine that this must be a problem all over the world? An odd thing to find in the world's best selling car. :blink:

Frosty, I've used Osram Nightbreakers before on a car with halogen lights, but they didn't last long (six months) because they were designed to run very hot. Are the HIR2 Nightbreakers designed the same way?

I may be wrong, but I thought ideally headlamps were supposed to be set up so that 0 on the dial equals the 'normal' position for driving with no load. Only when for example the car was heavily laden or I get flashed by other drivers would I set it to anything other 0.

• Like 2

Just to add, when I've had headlamps adjusted by garages in the past they've set the beam so that it's at the correct height with the control at 0.

I've driven plenty of cars where it does have to be set above zero to avoid dazzling people but I think that's purely down to poor adjustment rather than by design.

• Like 1

The correct way to set 0 position is with the driver sat in the drivers seat! Many places adjust them with the car empty, which results in them actually not being adjusted correctly.

• Like 2

Stupid question.  Has my 66 plate auris TS HIR2, only asking as I usually upgrade bulbs to the brightest.  

12 hours ago, catnash said:

Stupid question.  Has my 66 plate auris TS HIR2, only asking as I usually upgrade bulbs to the brightest.  

See 2nd and 4th posts of this thread.

I was hoping the revised version had ditched the Hir2's

7 minutes ago, catnash said:

I was hoping the revised version had ditched the Hir2's

For the UK market, Toyota first started using HIR2's in the IQ (2008 on), and have since extended their use to other ranges. Probably due to the HIR2's being around 75-80% brighter than standard halogen bulbs.

• Like 1

So attended Burrows Toyota in Sheffield this morning to have the headlights looked at, walked the dog while it was in and by the time I'd got back they had actually changed the headlight units and also washed and valeted my car👌 Brilliant customer service and so glad I got shut of my Ford Focus after reading about the issues https://m.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/?ref=group_header&view=group

7 hours ago, Steve Whits said:

So attended Burrows Toyota in Sheffield this morning to have the headlights looked at, walked the dog while it was in and by the time I'd got back they had actually changed the headlight units and also washed and valeted my car👌 Brilliant customer service and so glad I got shut of my Ford Focus after reading about the issues https://m.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/?ref=group_header&view=group

Interesting to see what you make of the revised units.  Had 2 auris (now 1) and had both cars' units replaced.  Saw a slight improvement in both but still not great in terms of output (although width of beam was improved).  When driving my auris still casts a significant shadow in the beam from the lights from the car behind suggesting that the lights aren't great on mine!!!  

Luckily I have very rural roads round me and it is very rare that I have to dip my lights - full beam is fine.  I had to go back to have my lights adjusted on one car as even when they were at 0 I could only see about 15-20ft ahead, not great from the garage (who did admit they'd set them wrong)!

the headlights should be set at 0 as when you chosse 1,2 or 3 the headlight lowers the beam

to allow for having a heavy load in the boot or adults on the back seat.

but generally speaking the Auris headlights are only marginally better than having gas lamps

gas lamp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and Auris. I've recently picked up a 2013 Hybrid Auris and i'm not impressed with the head lights. Reading this forum I just wanted to make sure these are correct before ordering. https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-cool-blue-intense-hir2-single?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

I'm also hoping it's an easy enough job to replace them?

Many thanks

Paul.

Bear in mind these only provide up to 20% more light than standard HIR2 bulbs, and at £69.98 for a pair, don't seem to offer good value.

Yes 20% is not fantastic but it's better. I'm assuming the colour would match the LED running lights too?

One other thing. Has anyone noticed the rainbowing effect on the standard lights or is that just mine?

£24.99 per bulb at Autobulbs Direct

When I put in my Reg on autobulbs direct it shows me different ones. This gets the best reviews. http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H11-OSRAM-Night-Breaker-Unlimited-110-Upgrade-Xenon-Headlight-Bulbs-Pair.html?bulb_search=car

Much better prices there. Thanks Frosty!

Those H11 bulbs are for the first generation Auris (2007-December 2012). The second generation Auris (December 2012 onwards) uses HIR2 bulbs.

H11's won't fit the second generation Auris.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:39 PM, Willss said:

Interesting to see what you make of the revised units.  Had 2 auris (now 1) and had both cars' units replaced.  Saw a slight improvement in both but still not great in terms of output (although width of beam was improved).  When driving my auris still casts a significant shadow in the beam from the lights from the car behind suggesting that the lights aren't great on mine!!!  

Been in Norfolk all week and got to use the lights which appear brighter and a wider spread to the nearside but they seem to have been set very short on dipped beam.  Rather than go back to the dealer I intend adjusting them myself.  Main beam were fine although not as good as my previous Ford Focus but I can live with poor headlights over exploding engines any time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier darkness is with us now so I adjusted the headlight on the nearside to shine a bit further than the garage set it and the difference is very noticeably better. 

On 9/6/2017 at 8:32 PM, smentalist said:

When I put in my Reg on autobulbs direct it shows me different ones. This gets the best reviews. http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H11-OSRAM-Night-Breaker-Unlimited-110-Upgrade-Xenon-Headlight-Bulbs-Pair.html?bulb_search=car

Much better prices there. Thanks Frosty!

These can be had for £22.95 0n eBay