Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel for Yaris Hybrid icon plus Yaris 2014

Sofia

I am going to buy petrol first time ever at local tesco esso station.

Can you please advise me what fuel exactly I need to buy to refill yaris hybrid tank? What does Yaris hybrid 2014 manual recommend?

I checked on internet these are two types of petrol. What is the difference in these two types of petrol? Which one I need to buy to refill Yaris hybrid? I don't want to misfuelling the tank.

Premium Unleaded (95 RON)

Super Unleaded (97/98 RON)

Any brief description of do's and don't for first time refuelling the Yaris.

Either fuel is completely fine. Go for the cheaper normal petrol. As long as you don't put diesel in it you won't be mis-fueling it! 

Unleaded (95 RON) is fine.

The difference between unleaded (95 RON) and super unleaded (97-98 RON) basically boils down to super having a higher octane and usually a better additive package. Higher octane petrol may provide a very slight increase in performance or fuel economy - some owners think it provides smoother running - but this is open to debate.  Additive packages help keep the engine cleaner internally.

Branded fuels (BP, Shell, Esso, etc) tend to have a better additive package than either budget (eg. Applegreen) or supermarket fuels (eg. Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, etc).

Just a note: Tesco supermarket filling stations sell Tesco branded fuels. Tesco also have an alliance with Esso, where these sites sell Esso fuels and Tesco groceries. 

Thanks Rob.

Frosty thanks for the insight.

I have had 2 Prius, 1 Lexus CT200H and currently a 2014 Yaris Hybrid.

I always use Tesco fuel and have tried both regular and super.

The regular is fine, using the super made absolutely no difference to fuel economy or performance, so was just a waste of money.

Never had any bad fuel, no rough running and the service department has never mentioned any issues to me.

I went to BP which is second closest to my home. I didn't went to esso as I read reviews they have taken 60 pound off some of the customer's debit cards as reserve when fuelling.

and also our closer esso is too busy that sometimes you can't enter in it and there is no parking outside available to wait on the road.

I got only 14.50 L and my tank got again full. I wanted to learn how to put petrol in a car and pay. I did ask a van driver for help as I was not sure how the automtic system will work it clicked and stopped own its own when got filled.

I got 95 octane regular unleaded 1 liter for 1.15 pounds.

• Like 1

I think I have driven around 120 or 130 miles. I will check, since bought the car on 4th July 2017.  It seems to me my journeys are cheaper than a weekly bus travel to my place of work as it is just 1.3 mile from my house.:biggrin: Weekly bus journeys was costing me over 15 pound per week. I am very glad I got hybrid.

Edited by Sofia
spelling
  • Like 1

As regards the Tesco/Esso petrol station - presumably the £60 deposit for fuel occurs when their night service staff are on duty and it is to protect the petrol station from people filling up and driving off without paying. This can be a big problem in some areas. Some police forces are now not intervening unless their is obvious criminal intent (ie using false number plates to deceive forecourt cameras, etc).

You'll need to test (Esso is the fuel I use and find it to be good), but the few times I used supermarket fuel (Morrisons finest 95 RON) I got terrible MPG (couldn't better 52 MPG!!!).

You'll know if it happens, but something to be aware of! Esso seems fine, as does Total. I have not tried a full tank of Total however, so not really valid, but did fill 2 imp. Gal. from empty and MPG seemed normal.

No idea what is going on with the Morrisons fuel, but the couple of times I filled up there I had the same result, so I avoid it (it may be slightly cheaper but that means little if it means filling up more often). I doubt my driving style varied that much those couple of times.

I don't find any advantage using 98 RON premium fuel - it just costs more.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links