Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Avensis Tourer 2.0 D4D Low mpg

Dazsw

We've had this car now for a year.

One of the main reasons we traded in the old Avensis for this one was the better fuel economy.

The old 2007 Avensis with a 2.0 D4D engine averaged around 50mpg or better pretty much all the time.

Since getting the new one which is supposed to average 60mpg, most times it sits around 42-43mpg.

It's well serviced, driven frugally, has no error codes showing, yet seems to guzzle the fuel.

Once when the car was fully warmed up I reset the trip counters/etc then cruised at 50mph in 6th gear, it got to 55mpg, but dropped back down to 45mpg once you need to touch the throttle, then lower again soon after.

The old car you just drove normally like any other car and it averaged 50 all day long, this thing you are trying to drive so carefuly yet the fuel just disappears.

Ayone else have problems?

If you're expecting the car to achieve the published EU fuel consumption, then it won't. The EU fuel consumption tests use a laboratory based testing regime, won't be applicable to  real world fuel consumption, and are only meant to be a standard comparison tool for comparison between models.

Have a look at the Honest John Real mpg website to see what other owners are getting - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d

Do you need to update your profile to include the 2012 Avensis.

• Like 1

I feel your pain. My first car was a 2002 1.5 diesel Clio and if I drove economically I could touch 800 miles from a tank and average low to mid 70's mpg. Official consumption was 65. If driven harder it would drop to lowest high 50s but still probably be around low to mid 60s.

next car was a 5 year younger Clio same engine and I thought with improvements it would be about the same to even out the extra weight as the Clio had grown and gained more weight what with more airbags and stuff. It never hit the same heights. 65 would have been highest probably more around 60 and less if pushed. 

Onto my auris which like your avenues is the 2.0 d4d 2008 and it just seems to continually plug away at 50mpg with odd time hitting 54 or dropping to 47. As mine naturally reaches the time when due to mileage I'll probably have to replace it I've looked at what's on offer - a newer auris or a ceed or i30 or focus and despite the usual eyecatching 70 and 80mpg official figures all my research online shows that they all seem at best to be doing about 55mpg.

It gives me zero confidence or incentive to change earlier than when I'll be forced to and makes me wonder how much extra weight is in a car nowadays that means a 9 year old big 'dirty' diesel is as good if not better on fuel than a brand spanking new latest development similar sized car. And if it's not down to weight what is it for I'm sure a couple of USB ports and daytime running leds don't suck that much juice!

same when I see people talking about their hybrids and how good they are and they're getting 55mpg or something and I'm thinking that's not exactly a spectacular leap! 

Yours is particularly strange and disappointing given it's the same engine or maybe even a tweaked and 'improved' version of it and its performing worse.

I'm sure you do real mpg measurements rather than using computer average but just in case you're not my auris continually does better mpg than the average would have me believe

3 hours ago, Dazsw said:

The old 2007 Avensis with a 2.0 D4D engine averaged around 50mpg or better pretty much all the time.

Since getting the new one which is supposed to average 60mpg, most times it sits around 42-43mpg.

It's essentially the same engine (1AD-FTV) & gearbox in both cars (albeit the 2012 is supposed to  be a tweaked 1AD-FTV gaining  up to 15% better mpg. Yours is a facelift rather than a late registered original T27?).

However, the 2012 will have a DPF so that will use some additional fuel for regens & the 2012 is ~60+Kg heavier than the 2007.  

Are the wheel/tyre combinations the same as again that can have an effect?

As already mentioned whilst it is usually possible to achieve the NEDC test figures under the right conditions in practice most people get nowhere near which is why it is due to be replaced next month by something that allegedly will produce results more like real world.

If you are relying on the computer rather than doing your own manual mpg calculation then my experience is that the one in my  2012 is more accurate than the 2007 that I had.

Thanks for the replies lads.

I see what the computer says for mpg, but also work out how much is used between fillups etc, the computer is fairly accurate.

Driving carefully I can usually get any car to match or almost match the official figures, you need to drive carefully but it's possible, not with this Avensis though!

We just completed around 600 miles in a week, my wife in her car, myself in my 1.2 Turbo Clio whose official average figure is in the low 40s

The Clio averaged 44mpg on the journey, the Avensis 42.5mpg.

It really is the worst diesel car we've owned for fuel!

It it supposed to be better than the old Avensis but it is so much worse.

The Honest John Real mpg pages show a slight difference between the T25 and T27 - average consumption 2.3mpg less for the T27.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2003/20-d-4d

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d-tourer

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Honest John Real mpg pages show a slight difference between the T25 and T27 - average consumption 2.3mpg less for the T27.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2003/20-d-4d

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d-tourer

but it doesn't break out the difference between the 2009 -11 & the facelift with the tweaked, supposedly more economical engine ...

There is no doubt that newer cars have a larger % difference between what most drivers will achieve & what the offical NEDC test results say than older - the manufacturers over time learned how to game the test to best effect.

No matter what, a newer more efficient engine, shouldn't be not far off 10mpg worse than the older model, for no apparent reason.

Due to the high miles we do, really the car will most likely have to go...should have kept the old one!

Yes, your car is doing mpg similar to my 2.2, I would have expected the 2.0 to be ~50+ or - depending if the original or tweaked version in the facelift.

Did you buy it new & when was it last serviced?

Reset the computer by either way of removing the Battery term or pulling the fuse to reset it and see if that helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dazsw,

I just came across your post and it almost identical to a recent post that I made!! (see below)

Although my post was primarily about poor FM radio signal if you look at the second half of my post it's about poor MPG!!

Looks like we have the same car, a 2012 Avensis Tourer 2.0 D4D.

Have you managed to obtain any better MPG out of your car??

Is your FM radio signal poor or is it fine??

I have a few ideas about improving MPG that I would be happy to discuss with you if you are interested?? 

On 20/11/2017 at 10:43 AM, Telephonewire said:

Hi Dazsw,

I just came across your post and it almost identical to a recent post that I made!! (see below)

Although my post was primarily about poor FM radio signal if you look at the second half of my post it's about poor MPG!!

Looks like we have the same car, a 2012 Avensis Tourer 2.0 D4D.

Have you managed to obtain any better MPG out of your car??

Is your FM radio signal poor or is it fine??

I have a few ideas about improving MPG that I would be happy to discuss with you if you are interested?? 

Hi mate,

Happy to discuss.

I can tell you though that basically Toyota are blatantly lying about the mpg figures.

Toyota employees have confirmed this.....unoffically of course.

Our car has had various software updates to cure the issue, dpf replaced, egr cleaned, etc.

Mechanics in the garage have told us everyone complains about the MPG but nothing is ever done.

As I mentioned in the other post, it's the only car I cannot get anywhere near the official figures, not even close.

Also I would prepare yourself for the £1000+ WHEN not if the electronic handbrake fails, known issue with them being garbage and letting water in which fries the board or rusts the cables, and the whole lot has to be replaced, can't just swap out one part.

Cheers,

Daz.

On 20/11/2017 at 6:24 PM, Dazsw said:

Hi mate,

Happy to discuss.

I can tell you though that basically Toyota are blatantly lying about the mpg figures.

They are not lying, legally they are only allowed to quote the NEDC test figures. This was never designed to give "real world" consumption figures but to give a uniform test for providing comparisons. Over the years all the manufacturers learned how to perform best in the tests. NEDC has now been replaced as of this Autumn & all new cars will do the new test (which will still not give "real world" figures, but closer). https://www.petrolprices.com/news/official-real-world-fuel-economy/

Also I would prepare yourself for the £1000+ WHEN not if the electronic handbrake fails, known issue with them being garbage and letting water in which fries the board or rusts the cables, and the whole lot has to be replaced, can't just swap out one part.

Actually, it seems to be a very rare failure & lower than that on many other cars (it's an industry standard part from a 3rd party) e.g. VWs . A 2012 facelift T27 should have had some improvements over the original T27s in this regard but you still shouldn't drive the car through high water.

You have dis-regarded what I said, I kow the figures are not real world.

But, every other car I have ever owned I can get close to the "official"mpg, this car is miles away, even with the most careful of driving, as I said Toyota themselves admitted it has poor mpg during various discussions.

As for the electronic parking brake again Toyota themselves admitted the first generation units were poor and not sealed properly, so it actually is not a rare occurence.

Hence why our car was 2 months out of warranty when after some arguing and presentation of various similar cases as evidence Toyota replaced the EPB parts under warranty.

23 minutes ago, Dazsw said:

You have dis-regarded what I said,

No, I haven't.

But, every other car I have ever owned I can get close to the "official"mpg, this car is miles away, even with the most careful of driving, as I said Toyota themselves admitted it has poor mpg during various discussions. Well, as I stated earlier most people with the revised 1AD will average ~48-50mpg so it suggests that something isn't right with yours or you aren't driving it in a way that suits it. e.g. this car will have a DPF which uses diesel to regenerate thereby lowering mpg, the more it needs to regenerate the more effect this will have. The BMW diesels don't seem to do any better going by HonestJohn's RealMPG.

As for the electronic parking brake again Toyota themselves admitted the first generation units were poor and not sealed properly, so it actually is not a rare occurence.

They are an industry standard part supplied by a very large 3rd party supplier (Continental). There certainly have been failures but anecdotally it would appear relatively few (bearing in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of these cars on the road) & apparently much less than e.g. VW's EPB.  Imo this is one instance where the fear of failure is actually much higher than the reality. It doesn't even get a mention in HonestJohn's good/bad https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-2009/?section=good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing that before, what a load of nonsense!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi I have 2016 Avensis diesel 2.0 with the newer , greener , more eco friendly BMW engine returns a steady 33 to 35 mpg! I had the 2003-2006 model did steady 40mpg same driving.Toyota dealer says computer says all is ok nothing wrong with the car . But gives a load of bull about this engine is cleaner and has more " things" on it to make it cleaner running less emissions  . Makes me laugh. 

On 10/03/2018 at 9:20 PM, Chris00 said:

But gives a load of bull about this engine is cleaner and has more " things" on it to make it cleaner running less emissions  . Makes me laugh. 

well, it is Euro VI whereas your old car was probably Euro III ... 

welcome to the world of the new avensis.

• 3 years later...
On 8/11/2017 at 10:22 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you're expecting the car to achieve the published EU fuel consumption, then it won't. The EU fuel consumption tests use a laboratory based testing regime, won't be applicable to  real world fuel consumption, and are only meant to be a standard comparison tool for comparison between models.

Have a look at the Honest John Real mpg website to see what other owners are getting - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d

Do you need to update your profile to include the 2012 Avensis.

my 2014 business edt 2.0d4d  dose 36.3mpg as i filled it and did the math there which its not easy run at all 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, Dazsw said:

Hi mate,

Happy to discuss.

Toyota employees have confirmed this.....unoffically of course.

Our car has had various software updates to cure the issue, dpf replaced, egr cleaned, etc.

Mechanics in the garage have told us everyone complains about the MPG but nothing is ever done.

As I mentioned in the other post, it's the only car I cannot get anywhere near the official figures, not even close.

Cheers,

Daz.

where is the electronic part of the handbrake as i seen on american cars the they have electric parts that auto wind back the piston as they have connectors going right in. but not sure on the uk 2014 the electric parts are as on my rear calibers there are no electric there only the part that pulls the handbrake on but not sure where that is the main part