Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris electrical failue problem

barnabythebear

Hiya all,

Hello everyone, Yaris owner here and my first post.

I was driving my Yaris (1.4 D4D 2007), home today when the radio went off and the ABS light came on and I lost assisted steering. Warning lights started to come on including oil and airbag and then I lost all the dashboard info completely. The radio and a few light did flicker for a second every now and then. The air-con switched off lastly and when I arrived home I couldn't restart the car at all. I had a new battery fitted by the RAC 18 months ago and they tested the alternator at the same time and it was OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nige.

I'd look at the Battery, its terminals and main earth connection. If they're all OK, you'll need to measure the Battery voltage with and without the engine running.

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I can't get the car started at the momen but I will try and find someone with a multimeter :)

Thank you, 

Nige.

Hi,

I can't get the engine to start, the engine won't even turn over. I got a friend with a multimeter and the Battery gave 4 volts. As the engine won't start id there a way to see if it is an alternator problem?

Thank you.

Nige.

You'll need to put the Battery on charge (if it will hold one) and then measure the Battery voltage with the engine running. If you can't figure the problem from there, I'd suggest you take it to an auto electrician.

4 volts?!

Does it have electrolyte in it??

It's possible the Battery is beyond repair.

Is it a suitable capacity for your car? Do you do frequent start/stop short journeys?

If the alternator is OK it should give about 14V at the Battery.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Turned out to be the alternator. I hope the Battery hasn't been damaged, it seems to be working OK.

Many thanks,

Nige.

7 minutes ago, barnabythebear said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Turned out to be the alternator. I hope the battery hasn't been damaged, it seems to be working OK.

Many thanks,

Nige.

Just out of interest Nige, what mileage had the alternator done?

Hi,

07 plate with 115,000. The alternator was the original.

Thanks.

The alternator failed on our 2007 Yaris D4d at 96k... the replacement wasn't cheap :blink: