Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Purchase of 2010 Yaris

sproutdreamer

Hi

New on this forum as normally on the Avensis forum but we need something smaller and lighter on the steering than an Avensis.

When viewing Yaris cars what sort of things are to be looked out for. Thinking of a Yaris 2010/11 and automatic. Probably the 1.3

as the 1.0 will be pretty sluggish. Are there big differences in trim levels and is the auto box ok on these? Was there a model change around then that made a big difference?

Thanks in anticipation of help in this.

" Thinking of a Yaris 2010/11 and automatic. "

That could mean a Mk2 which would be fitted with the dreaded and awful MMT and not a "proper" automatic transmission. It's a conventional gearbox with clutch and change actuators controlled by computer. The concept is good but the application of that concept not so good!

If an automatic is a must then try and go for a Mk3 with Multidrive (c.v.t.). Far better.

Having previously owned a MMT Mk2 and now a c.v.t. Mk3 the difference in transmissions is chalk and cheese. Although the Mk 2 is a well built car I think the Mk 3 has the edge on build quality too. Rattle and creak free.:laugh:

Thanks MR that is very helpful. What year did the Mk3 come in with the multidrive c.v.t. I have a Parkers (the bits I can read) but a cross check from an experienced owner is good. To be sure does the multidrive lever look different to the MMT lever?

I can get a later model than 2010 but I just hate depreciation on cars!

If you can stretch to £7000, the Yaris Hybrid is the one to get. Make sure it still has a bit of warranty and add another 2 years for £300 (if half price still available). If the longevity of the Prius is anything to go by, the Yaris should be good for many stress free years.

Thanks Frosty so I want a 61 or later to be sure of getting the CVT multidrive. A bit confused about the taxation rate on the 1.33 - some dealers say £30 and others £115. Which shouild it be or does different years have differing emissions for the same size of engine?

5 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

If you can stretch to £7000, the Yaris Hybrid is the one to get. Make sure it still has a bit of warranty and add another 2 years for £300 (if half price still available). If the longevity of the Prius is anything to go by, the Yaris should be good for many stress free years.

Thanks Mike but I am not keen on Hybrids. Probably just old fashioned reluctance to change. But they are more expensive to buy and repairing them or replacing batteries has not yet hit the fan. I do not think they are for the self servicer/fixer.

43 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks Frosty so I want a 61 or later to be sure of getting the CVT multidrive. A bit confused about the taxation rate on the 1.33 - some dealers say £30 and others £115. Which shouild it be or does different years have differing emissions for the same size of engine?

The TR and T-Spirit CVT's emit 118g/km CO2 which puts them into VED band C - £30 per year. The SR emits 121g/km which puts it into VED band D - £115 per year - presumably due to wider, low profile wheels/tyres.

That is really informative thanks everyone.

Yes, the selector arrangements are different. The easiest thing to spot is the different orientation of the + and - in "M".

On an MMT the + is towards the rear of the M gate and on the Multidrive it towards the front. Both do have "paddles" on the steering column too. With the MMT these change the gear, unless the computer thinks otherwise,:laugh: but manually alter the ratio on the Multidrive.

I used to just drive around in manual mode and change gear when I wanted to rather than let the computer make it's sometimes irrational decisions. That sort of made the whole "auto" thing pointless other than there being no clutch pedal to operate.

With the cvt Multidrive I leave it to do it's thing smoothly and flawlessly.

18 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks Mike but I am not keen on Hybrids. Probably just old fashioned reluctance to change. But they are more expensive to buy and repairing them or replacing batteries has not yet hit the fan. I do not think they are for the self servicer/fixer.

There is a reason why they are more expensive :wink:. As mentioned, warranties are your friend. Regarding batteries; as they are the same as the Prius, longevity is proven. No new cars are for diy fixing unless you can get access to manuals and appropriate electronic diagnostic kit. I am a diy buff and also a techie, but will not be doing much on the Yaris. I diy older cars, one being a carbed V8 :cool:.

I like the reversing camera on some models-which models is this on or is it just an optional extra. Also does the camera pop out when reverse is engaged?

its on the icon trim  and it is just above the back number plate so  it doesnt pop out

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links