Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

electric parking brake issues

AJLMike

Help! My parking brake has been playing up so after getting a price from Toyota thought I would get a second hand one.

It's fitted and working but I have lights on the dashboard. My local (indy) garage has said that these units are coded to the cars vin and cannot be recoded. Does anyone know if this is right and if so should they be sold (on e-bay) second hand without telling people they won't work properly!

The car is a 12 plate but has just clocked 250,000 miles. Will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Any help would be appreciated. :biggrin:

If you know a good auto electrician with the latest gear, the lights could be eliminated. This only a suggestion as i have not had the EPB changed. I did have a silly fault when one of the gearbox cables had not been disconnected properly, and the auto electricians new diagnostic drilled down and removed the error lights - but did not fix the issue until the cable was reconnected. The point I am saying is you need the error lights removed since the EPB otherwise works. 

The other point about the EPB unit being coded to a particular VIN? I can't answer that, but hope what I mentioned above fixes that.

What was wrong with the original EPB?

Thanks for the reply Konrad, I have spoken to a Toyota dealer just now and they said they can do it.

It will take half an hour while I wait. Booked in for next Tuesday.

The part was £350 secondhand £200 to fit. Toyota wanted about £1080 for the part alone!:ph34r:

The warning lights were coming on and saying "parking brake inoperable" and "parking brake overheat" and "check parking brake". Yellow triangle and yellow brake warning lit. Then red Brake symbol flashing and audible warning sounding.

It started by not releasing as I drove off before it stopped working. It would work now and again but I did not want to get stuck with it on.:blink:

Now I have "check parking brake" and yellow triangle and brake symbol but works fine manually.:biggrin:

Normally the EPB is lock to the last car that is was fitted on... But lets see what your Toyota dealer can make up. I doubt it works..

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

On 8/14/2017 at 5:34 PM, AJLMike said:

Thanks for the reply Konrad, I have spoken to a Toyota dealer just now and they said they can do it.

It will take half an hour while I wait. Booked in for next Tuesday.

The part was £350 secondhand £200 to fit. Toyota wanted about £1080 for the part alone!:ph34r:

The warning lights were coming on and saying "parking brake inoperable" and "parking brake overheat" and "check parking brake". Yellow triangle and yellow brake warning lit. Then red Brake symbol flashing and audible warning sounding.

It started by not releasing as I drove off before it stopped working. It would work now and again but I did not want to get stuck with it on.:blink:

Now I have "check parking brake" and yellow triangle and brake symbol but works fine manually.:biggrin:

That's the fault I had when the clutch was changed and the gear position sensor was not reconnected properly. My auto electrician diagnosed the problem, as well as delete the fault messages and warnings. I had to remove the air filter to get at the connector. For a few days, I had to release the EPB manually until the fix. His equipment though not Toyota specific, was detailed enough to see what is going on. Toyota's equipment should be as good or even better! You got a good price on the second hand EPB. 
Hope it is all sorted and let us know what Toyota did if successful. Could be handy for the future.
Konrad

• Like 1

Ok quick update, Toyota had my car for 1 1/2 hrs and said wrong part no.!:sad:

My part no. was 46300-05030 used part was 46300-05032. Looks like I will have to buy new.

The upshot is they can do it if the part no. is the same.:angry:

The dealer didn't charge me for their time! This is "Snows" formally WKB in Waterlooville so when the old part comes off it will go back onto the bay of E.

This is a private hire vehicle so at least the parts are tax deductible ho hum!:cool:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links