Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 celica 140 potential issues

Tat46

Hi 

I have just bought a 2004 140bhp car with 77000miles on it it's got a full service history and is in really good nick for it's age, I've read about some of the engine problems that the pre facelift models have how do the later models fair?

Think oil consumption issues could affect 1.8 Celicas built up to July 2005.

• Like 1

Hi, Wayne & welcome to T.O.C.

There's less chance of the engine becoming an "oil burner", as the block was modified with more oil runways for the face lift in the Autumn of 2002. However, it's still important to change the oil regularly, and check the (revised) dipstick on a weekly basis.

I have a 2004 140 that hasn't used a drop, but it is very low mileage.

• Like 1

As above, Wayne.....I had a 2003 140 for two years...never used a drop of oil and was over 80k miles...but I always made sure that the oil/filter change was done every 5-7k miles max.

You really shouldn't have a problem if the oil change regime has been a good one.

Neil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

Hi, Wayne & welcome to T.O.C.

There's less chance of the engine becoming an "oil burner", as the block was modified with more oil runways for the face lift in the Autumn of 2002. However, it's still important to change the oil regularly, and check the (revised) dipstick on a weekly basis.

I have a 2004 140 that hasn't used a drop, but it is very low mileage.

Cheers for the info I was intending on changing the oil every 4000 miles which would be best to put in it semi synthetic  or full synthetic and what grade would be best 

Sounds good.!....I always used a full synthetic oil....5w/30...but it doesn't have to be mega expensive stuff...it's the frequency of the oil change that is key..:biggrin:

Neil

• Like 1

As Neil says..

0W30 or 5W30 for the VVTi.

Tesco have 5W30 Castrol Edge half price at £24.50 at the moment, but the Triple QX from EuroCarParts will still "do the job" for about a tenner less.

If you're going to be replacing fluids, don't skimp on the coolant, Toyota Long Life is the stuff to buy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

As Neil says..

0W30 or 5W30 for the VVTi.

Tesco have 5W30 Castrol Edge half price at £24.50 at the moment, but the Triple QX from EuroCarParts will still "do the job" for about a tenner less.

If you're going to be replacing fluids, don't skimp on the coolant, Toyota Long Life is the stuff to buy.

Is Castrol mag ok to put in?

So long as it's the right spec.....yes.

Neil

17 hours ago, Tat46 said:

Is Castrol mag ok to put in?

It wouldn't make sense to use Magnatec, unless you can find it substantially cheaper than the superior Edge (while it's £24.50).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

It wouldn't make sense to use Magnatec, unless you can find it substantially cheaper than the superior Edge (while it's £24.50).

Yes I'll probably buy that anyway, I asked the bloke i bought the car off what oil was in it at the moment and he said semi 10w40 

Mmm, correct viscosity for a Gen 6, but not a 7.

Unscrupulous sellers have been known to use a thicker oil to mask a problem, hope not in your case.

1 hour ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

Mmm, correct viscosity for a Gen 6, but not a 7.

Unscrupulous sellers have been known to use a thicker oil to mask a problem, hope not in your case.

Is this something that I should really be concerned about the car seems to be well cared for and the bloke seemed genuine I've only paid a deposit, meant to be picking it up Sat so there's still time to back out yet 

That's not an easy question to answer. You've met the seller, and I haven't, so you'll have to use your judgement on this one.

On Saturday, ask him to rev the engine while you check the smoke from the exhaust.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/what-does-the-smoke-from-my-exhaust-mean-.html

As above...I'd be a little wary...it may well be ok but, as Kev says...check it out when you are next with the car.

What does the service history you mention tell you in terms of oil changes.?...and how long has the seller had the car.?

Neil

Thanks lads it's doing my head in a bit now 

He's had the car for 2years and the oil was last changed about 1500 miles ago by himself I presume because the last stamp as I recall was 68000, he said today when I asked him about the oil that it's never burned any, plus when I went t c it I reved it up and I couldn't c any blue smoke and the engine sounded fine to me just like my avensis really, it was left running while I was checking it out and didn't seem to be making any bad knocking sound nor when we were out on the road took it up to about 70 on the duel carriageway seemed ok 

He may have used 10W40 as it's a little cheaper than 5W30. 10W40 won't do any short term damage, especially during the warmer months. I would just be a little concerned that if he's skimped on the oil, has he skimped on anything else?.

Does he have receipts to show what work has been carried out, or just stamps in the service book?.

Have you checked previous MOT tests?.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

According to the mot history it's only failed once since new and that was on headlight beam and since he's had the car (2015) the mileage has gone from 71685 to 76460 (mot mileage) and it's still below 77000 now so not a lot, he told me that he just doesn't use the car enough to keep it 

As Kev says...the last oil change may just have a been a "blip" and 10w40 used for reasons of cost..but I'd want see the proper spec in there asap.

The MOT history obviously doesn't show up any real "nasties".

On balance it seems pretty much ok so ..if you get it..then change the oil soon and enjoy it...they are a great car to drive.!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links