Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight bulb recommendation?

Matt-Norfolk

I haven't picked up our Yaris yet but have no idea what the headlights are like. 

Has anyone upgraded their bulbs and recommend any in particular? 

Also seen the HID kits, not sure if they're any good or not? 

The current Yaris uses HIR2 bulbs, and an upgrade from Osram has recently become available which increases light performance by 20%, However, only a couple of retailers in the UK seems to be stocking these, and at around £35 each, seem rather expensive/poor vlue for the light gain achieved. Powerbulbs have them.

Unless HID kits or LED bulbs are e-marked, they aren't legal within the UK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The current Yaris uses HIR2 bulbs, and an upgrade from Osram has recently become available which increases light performance by 20%, However, only a couple of retailers in the UK seems to be stocking these, and at around £35 each, seem rather expensive/poor vlue for the light gain achieved. Powerbulbs have them.

Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at those. And bear in mind about the e-marking of HID kits. I wouldn't want them looking too bright, just like a clearer type of light if possible. 

It's a 2014 mk3 Yaris, not the newest shape. Are the bulbs HIR2?

All 3rd generation Yaris have HIR2 bulbs.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

All 3rd generation Yaris have HIR2 bulbs.

By 3rd generation I presume you mean 2011 on?

My 2014 (pre facelift) 1.3 Icon has H4 headlamp bulbs. According to my copy of the owner's manual only hybrid models had HIR2.

50 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

By 3rd generation I presume you mean 2011 on?

My 2014 (pre facelift) 1.3 Icon has H4 headlamp bulbs. According to my copy of the owner's manual only hybrid models had HIR2.

That's what I thought until Frostyballs replied. If I put my number plate in to lightbulb websites it says H7. When I put make and model it says HIR2.

IMG_3548.PNG

I suggest you (Mod edit: inappropriate phrase removed) manual

18 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I suggest you (Mod edit: inappropriate phrase removed) manual

Very helpful, thanks.

I suggest you read my post...... I haven't got the car yet so don't have the manual!!

20 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I was thinking of switching to LEDs in the beginning, but in order to keep my insurance premium, I bought the Osram Osram Cool Blue Intense instead. It is not as blue as most people would think, but definitely white-er than the originals. 

And by the way, I tried out a couple of those W21/5W LED for the DLR bulb, the only one that works well is the Osram LED ones, the rest just got burned. 

5 hours ago, Matt-Norfolk said:

I suggest you read my post...... I haven't got the car yet so don't have the manual!!

One can download an electronic version of the full owners manual (Toyota ceased supplying copies of the full owners manual with new cars 3 or 4 years ago) from - https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

• 2 months later...

I have fitted HB4 bulbs that Halfords are selling +130% buy one get one free, or on eBay and all you have to trim part of the plastic off form it to fit (compare your old bulb with the new HB4 and its about 4mm to trim off one of the 3 locating lugs) but a vast improvement over the standard HIR2 bulbs as fitted as standard.

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links