Do Not Sell My Personal Information

first 1000 miles ?

AvensisWales

Hi Guys,

I expect it's in the hand book, but I've not got the car yet.

I'm collecting my brand new 2L diesel D-4D Toyota Avensis next week.

How should it be driven for the first XXXX miles?

I need it to tow my trailer a week and a half after I collect for 3 hours on A roads through Wales.

Thanks.

One can download the full owners manual from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Below is an extract from the full owners manual (page 189):- 

"Breaking in your new Toyota

To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

● For the first 300 km (200 miles): Avoid sudden stops.

● For the first 800 km (500 miles): Do not tow a trailer.

● For the first 1000 km (600 miles): • Do not drive at extremely high speeds. • Avoid sudden acceleration. • Do not drive continuously in the low gears. • Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

Idling time before engine stop (diesel engine)

To prevent damage to the turbocharger, allow the engine to idle immediately after high-speed driving or driving up a hill.

Driving condition Idling time:

Normal city driving - Not necessary;

High-speed driving -

Constant speed of approx. 80 km/h (50 mph)  - Approximately 20 seconds; 

Constant speed of approx. 100 km/h (62 mph) - Approximately 1 minute; 

Steep hill driving or continuous driving at 100 km/h (62 mph) or more (race track driving etc.) - Approximately 2 minutes."

So really, just stick to 'A' road driving, keeping within the speed limit?

No prolonged 60 mph on open roads?

No trailer until 700 miles plus?

No trailer until 500 miles.

For the most part, just drive it 'normally' (Like a 'normal' person as opposed to normal for a, say, a getaway driver :D). The car will get used to your driving style and everything should wear in nicely; Don't thrash the crap out of it (That comes later ;;;;))))) but don't feel you have to drive it too sedately/gently either!

The main thing is to subject it to a wide range of rpms from low to high (Not too much of the extreme highs or lows tho) - The reason for this is the piston will be wearing into the bore and I'm told if you drive too constantly, a thin ring of un-worn cylinder wall can form at the top/bottom which can then pop off and shred the valves if you suddenly rev it hard one day.
That said, I suspect you'd have to drive it at a single RPM for thousands of miles for that to become an actual problem... esp. given how long it takes diesel engines to wear in compared to petrols!