Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption & Fuel Gauge

S_J_P

I've been tracking my fuel consumption with Fuelly for years now, and this morning I thought I'd post a screen-grab of the consumption on my four Aygo's over the last ten years...

The same 53.4 mpg average on an X-Clusive, Fire, and Blue, and a slightly better 56.3mpg on a MMT equipped Black.  That's pretty consistant!

I've even come to accept the vagaries of the Aygo's blob-fuel-gauge, 350 miles covered since refuelling, and still registering half full, that's just plain wrong!

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 07.59.19.png

IMG_5452.JPG

• Like 1

Fuel gauges on a number of models (eg. Auris, IQ, etc) operate in a nonlinear way - example:  

Hi,

Same thing here. The first "square" of the gauge has 4 times the autonomy of the last one :biggrin:

Either the fuel tank is funnel-shaped, or the gauge does imprecise measurement (air pression in the tank)...

The mpg you can get with the X-Shift is pretty decent. I regularly get over 57mpg with mixed 'average' driving and well over 60 mpg on a longer gentler drive.

As for the fuel gauge well there is something clearly wrong if you can cover 350 miles and only 'use half a tank'. Mine shows 1 block after that distance but then it depends on how eco you've been driving however with the 53-56 mpg you quoted your fuel level should read lower.

• Like 1

Just how does the computer work out your fuel range? And should that range  alter for different vehicles.  

So what exactley are you saying, the fuel guage is showing half full when infact its less than that in the tank..because ive had my 2006 aygo several weeks now and my guage still shows 3/4 full..i was just thinking wow fantastic fuel consumption🤔

56 minutes ago, Dereklad said:

So what exactley are you saying, the fuel guage is showing half full when infact its less than that in the tank..because ive had my 2006 aygo several weeks now and my guage still shows 3/4 full..i was just thinking wow fantastic fuel consumption🤔

If you look at the thread I provided the link to in my post above (second post of this thread), this examples how the fuel gauge operates in a number of Toyota models. The fact that the fuel gauge operates in a nonlinear way is something one gets used to and doesn't pose any problem provided you are aware of the way it works. 

The gauges in my 2009 and my 2012 Auris both operated in the same way.

At least the later Aygo's give a range-to-empty figure as well, and that seems much more accurate than the blob-gauge.

When my gauge was still at half (350miles covered) my range was around 100 miles, so more like 1/4 full rather than half, as has been said you do get used to the gauge.

Ive got a 2006 aygo to start the trip meter is it just press the black button as i want too see how many miles im getting out of a tank..

IMG_1537.PNG

IMG_1538.PNG

Hi Derek,

Press the black button (Number 5 on the diagram) to change from total miles covered (Odometer) to trip meter.

Press and hold the same button for a few seconds and it will zero the tripmeter.

I do that every time I fill up and run the car with the trip meter, rather than the mileage displayed and then I usually fill up again when I have done about 250 - 300 miles.

I hope that helps. :smile:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dereklad said:

Ive got a 2006 aygo to start the trip meter is it just press the black button as i want too see how many miles im getting out of a tank..

IMG_1537.PNG

IMG_1538.PNG

Press briefly to switch between trip meter and odometer. On trip meter screen, press for about a second to reset.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Derek,

Press the black button (Number 5 on the diagram) to change from total miles covered (Odometer) to trip meter.

Press and hold the same button for a few seconds and it will zero the tripmeter.

I do that every time I fill up and run the car with the trip meter, rather than the mileage displayed and then I usually fill up again when I have done about 250 - 300 miles.

I hope that helps. :smile:

I also do so, resetting the trip meter each time I fill up with gas, so that I know exactly the actual consumption of the car (and not base on the calculations of the Toyota system).

I am attaching an image from this morning, showing the behavior of the fuel gauge in my case: It shows that I have driven 476 km (not miles!) since the last fill up and that I still have an almost half tank of fuel as well as 177 km until empty (which would make a total of about 650 km on a full tank, which is rather optimistic). Ok, the next fuel block disappeared a little bit later (at 485 km) but still I find that I can do more than 177 km with the last two blocks of the fuel tank.

The estimation "until empty" is based on calculation according to the current driving style (e.g. rushing or taking it easy) and can significantly change according to the changes in the fuel consumption (e.g. uphill, heavy car and engine load etc.). I know that I can drive about 500 km on a full tank (on my typical route, this also changes during trips or under heavy traffic) but I wouldn't count too much on the indications of the screen.

Fuel_gauge.jpg

I have already traveled 5000 km, did not exceed 6 liters of gasoline per 100 km

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links