Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

160,000 mile Auris TS Hybrid - good second-hand buy?

DuncanJ

I'm looking at buying a second-hand Auris Touring Sports hybrid (as a clean but economical replacement for my 2005 Octavia diesel estate). We only do about 5000 miles a year, and want to minimise our outlay. Would a high mileage one (100,000+) for £7-8k be a good buy (assuming good service history) ?

• Like 1

I think at 5000 miles per year I'd be looking at a lower mileage conventional petrol engine. The extra initial outlay of buying a hybrid will never be recouped in fuel savings at that sort of annual mileage. 

• Like 1

"

Presume you looking for an estate car by the sounds of it. Pity cause you can pick up a 2011 Auris Hybrid for about £6.5k with lot less then 100k miles.

100k miles wouldnt bother me too much especially if it had Toyota service stamps. Engine probably only done 70k, the rest on Battery. The mechanics of the engine/drive train seem pretty sturdy, just need to make sure the rest of the car is up to scratch ie brakes, suspension etc.

And even if you are only doing 5k a year, having a hybrid is to me more then doing extra mpg, its about running thro villages especially with a clean exhaust emission.

• Like 1

An Auris Touring Sport with 100K+ miles will have exceeded the mileage limitations on both the new car warranty and the hybrid drivetrain warranty. Having annual hybrid health checks done would, however, provide an extended warranty for the hybrid Battery (1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first).

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'm after a hybrid rather than a petrol as direct injection petrol engines have higher particulate emissions than a modern diesel with a filter. We use our car for a mix of short journeys when its not safe or convenient to walk/cycle with our children, and occasional longer journeys. A hybrid is the cleanest option, is more relaxing to drive, and, from what I read, should give me at least as good mpg as my old Skoda diesel (which, despite what it claims on the dashboard, actually averages 48 mpg).

I'm thinking that brakes / suspension on a 160,000 mile car might be much the same as on an 80,000 mile car, except that the pads / bushes etc. will have been changed two or three times rather than once or twice. Unlikely that much will have rusted/perished as its still only 3 years old. 

18 hours ago, DuncanJ said:

Thanks all. I'm after a hybrid rather than a petrol as direct injection petrol engines have higher particulate emissions than a modern diesel with a filter. We use our car for a mix of short journeys when its not safe or convenient to walk/cycle with our children, and occasional longer journeys. A hybrid is the cleanest option, is more relaxing to drive, and, from what I read, should give me at least as good mpg as my old Skoda diesel (which, despite what it claims on the dashboard, actually averages 48 mpg).

I'm thinking that brakes / suspension on a 160,000 mile car might be much the same as on an 80,000 mile car, except that the pads / bushes etc. will have been changed two or three times rather than once or twice. Unlikely that much will have rusted/perished as its still only 3 years old. 

That is true but, other than the newer 1.2T engine, the petrol engines in the Auris aren't direct injection.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, yossarian247 said:

That is true but, other than the newer 1.2T engine, the petrol engines in the Auris aren't direct injection.

Yossarian247 I had to explain explain in another post regarding Toyota engines and direct injection petrol engine - 

The 1.6 valvematic will be a another choice to the hybrid you are looking at - it must have been a private hire vehicle. Catlover's point about the engine doing less work - so long as it not all motorway journeys. Only wheel bearings will have 160k miles on them, brake less so.  A Battery health check would be useful.
In a recent post on the Avensis site, used Vmatics seem to rare at the moment. I recommended that the poster also looks at the Auris Vmatic and hybrid (including the 1.33).

If the car checks out, then it is a good buy.

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

at only 5000 miles a year I do not think a traditional hybrid is worth it.  The engine will always run when first starting for 5-10 minutes to warm-up and longer if it is cold.  If you only go to the store or drop the kids off at school and then back home, the engine will be running most of that time.  In this respect it is similar to the diesel in that the first 15 minutes are no more economical that that of a non-hybrid.

If costs are a concern then just buy a conventional gas car.  If you have the money, buy a 100% electric or at least a plug-in hybrid.  That way when the Battery is charged the engine will not run which is perfect for short trips in the city.

Good luck!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links