Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driver Caught 14 Times By Average Speed Camera

Mr Wolf

The first permanent (as opposed to road repair) average speed cameras in the county were installed by Sussex Safer Roads Partnership (SSRP) in Marine Parade, Brighton this year and went live at the end of May.

Since then and the first week of August, more than 1,800 vehicles have been caught travelling at more than 36mph along the Brighton coastal road including one driver clocked travelling at average 63mph.

One dozy driver has been captured 14 times by the new average speed cameras.

It seems that some drivers are still unsure as to how these cameras work. For those that don't know, they work by using automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) which records the vehicle's number plate at each camera position. Then, using the distance between positions, the average speed can be calculated by the time taken to travel between two cameras.

Drivers caught travelling at more than 36mph can elect to have their case heard at court, with speed awareness courses offered to offenders caught between 36mph and 42mph. Motorists driving at 50mph or over are summonsed to court.

Moved to General Discussions

Average speed cameras were first introduced to Scotland in 2005 (I believe that Nottinghams got theirs in 2000). We also have what I believe is the longest installed zone in the UK (99 miles on the A9).

Still fun watching some people brake for the cameras then speed up again afterwards ... :P

btw, if any of you are coming up here there are no speed awareness courses offered in Scotland nor does Police Scotland go by ACPO speeding guidelines (i.e. limit+10% +2mph).

I thought ACPO guidelines didn't apply to average speed cameras in England.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Wow, 14 times.. gotta say he is a bit unlucky. Those cameras are pretty annoying, but as there is so many of them now I'm just not speeding anymore, both me and my friend already had our fair share of getting caught speeding :P

Where I come from (Norway) all the speed cameras look like this:

22NYHGjennomsnitt_07-07-IMG.jpg?chk=6EA2

or like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSITvVtK_eW2GuBSy2Mj1Z

You'd have to be blind to miss them. Going 10 km/h faster than the speed limit is quite normal here. There's also signs letting you know whenever there's average speed cameras, including what the speed limit is.

However, when I was in UK last February, I didn't dare to speed at all since there were cameras everywhere, and I've heard there's more than 14 different types of cameras! Impossible to know if it's a camera or a street light. I've also heard talks of the cameras being used to catch people who run red lights are being modified to catch speeders as well. Combined with the fact that I've got saucers bigger than some of the speed limit signs, I'm not sure if I was able to stick to the limit at all times :blink:

I'm surprised the rental company hasn't charged me for speeding yet :laugh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links