Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Powersteering leak

bassonj85

Hi guys

What is the best diagnoses for a leaking powersteering rack?

1996 Corolla 160i(4afe)

If you are sure its within the rack and not a connector going to it, might be better getting a recon or s/hand unit.

• Like 1

Yes I'm sure its within the rack, had it checked out. I've been driving with the leak for about 8months now, only had to refill once thow; but now I can feel some stiffness on the left side and there appears to be a whining noise coming from what I think could be the pump.

If you loose fluid or get an air lock the pump can make strange noises, like when you put full steering lock on, or it might be due to excess pressure due to the leak / fault.

There is a routine for purging any air when refilling with fluid, have you followed that ?

Seems steering racks are short on the ground and very expensive, perhaps looking as somewhere like this place might be an option - do not know of them as such.

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/48hr-remanufacturing-service

When you say you have had it checked out, a local garage ?  what are they saying  / charging ?

Is it something you are thinking of doing yourself ?  steering rack removal etc not the easiest of tasks on some cars and also means things like toe alignment are needed.

They didn't charge me anything, the mech picked it up while cleaning off old grease and oil after service of the car. He told me best way would be to replace the whole thing.

I just filled it up with a sealant type of fluid this morning, hoping it will stop the leak. Will check it tommorow.

Can anybody tell me what's the worst that can happen when my powersteering system fails, will I still be able to drive. I am aware that the steering will become stiff again, is that the only thing I have to worry about?

You can feel how heavy the steering is when the ignition is off.  

Its said to be drivable in an emergency situation but cannot see it being drivable for more than pulling up to safety.

Though probably just a hydraulic problem, the source could be mechanical, so I would not like to drive it knowing the steering could lock or simply fail !

There is no magic cure,  you need to replace the parts new/refurbished or secondhand/scrappers,  so get you mechanic to see what he do for you and if its worth the cost vs a newer car ...??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links