Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Valvematic tapping noise

dankernow

I have a 2011 1.6 valvematic with 50k and full Toyota service history. Over the past couple of months I have noticed a louder ticking/tapping noise from the engine! I checked the alternator and valve cover with a long screw driver for noise and I think it's coming from engine rather than the ancillaries!

I'm now hearing more of this problem from other valvematic auris owners! Someone mentioned a vacuum pump on the camshaft! If it turns out to be a common problem would it be up to Toyota to fix, like they with the head gasket issue on the auris 180's?

More to the point, can anyone confirm what the problem is?

Thanks

If it is a manufacturing fault that leads to failure on high numbers of vehicles, Toyota may decide to take some action under similar goodwill arrangements to the oil consumption/head gasket issues on the AD series engines.

If there aren't a high number of failures, then presumably no. 

Unless it is a safety related issue (where the DVSA recall system may apply), there is nothing legally that would force a manufacturer to take action. Even the DVSA recall system requires numbers of complaints to be made before an issue is investigated.

• Like 1

Is this a problem that needs to be rectified if it's pump?

A certain amount of 'ticking' seems to be normal with Valvematic engines. Mine has always done it to some extent over the 40k I've owned it (now covered 80k in total). It seems to vary slightly depending on how hot the engine is but has never got progressively worse as such. I just ignore it.

Mines just got a little louder this past month. I only do 50 miles a week, so I'm not worried yet. Does yours get louder when it's hot?

Yes it does. Its not really noticeable when the engine is cold, but after a long run I do hear it if I get out with the engine still ticking over. I can't hear it inside the car at all. 

Read this - 

The tapping is more evident when the ambient noise is quiet enough,  and the engine is at idle. I thought something was wrong until I remembered how the engine works.