Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Louder indicators - an amplified solution

Paul E

Currently got a gen 3 plugin which I'm very happy with, apart from the fact that the indicators are too quiet! I was after a solution which did not involve cutting or splicing any wires. Got myself a little project box, mini speaker and panel fuse holder from maplin, and a £3 12v mono power amp, £3 contact microphone (both from china via ebay). The box sits in the tray behind the heated seat switches, takes 12v power from the nearby socket, and the contact mike is stuck to the indicator flasher relay with cables zip tied out of the way. Mike feeds the amp via a volume control so I get the same indicator noise as normal, but can adjust volume to taste. Quite pleased with this really.  Can supply further details if anyone fancies making one, and of course they would work with any Toyota that has quiet indicators, not just Prius. Only obvious enhancement would be to add an ambient noise sensing circuit which raised the indicator volume with ambient noise in the car. 

• Like 1

Yep good point/idea, I hadn't realised the indicators were so quiet until I fitted a dash cam recently. On playback they can virtually not be heard at all, except when car's stationary at lights etc. Could be an important factor if unfortunate enough to ever be involved in a prang and evidence was required.

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

Currently got a gen 3 plugin which I'm very happy with .......

Please update your profile to include the Prius.

They are a bit quiet but then the Prius is quiet too.  Apart from the rattles and road noise. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Can you hear the operation of the indicator stalk? Might be sufficient, but hearing them blinking is definitely a good idea.

Even if you can't hear it in the original soundtrack, a forensic sound engineer will be able to pick things out you wouldn't believe (this is why cockpit voice recorder is so useful on aircraft - they not only hear the pilots talking/moving or not, but they can even hear the tinest sounds related to airframe and engines that are unbelievable - in one case they could hear the fracturing of a turbine disc before it failed as the frequencies of the engine changed subtly).

Hopefully it is never required, but to know it's possible offers another option.

I had a car drive at me the other day - I managed to get out the way. They proceeded across the road behind me and off into the verge at 50 MPH! They were busy leaning over to the passenger side for something. I can't write here what I thought about them! :2guns::2guns::2guns:

9 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Can you hear the operation of the indicator stalk? Might be sufficient, but hearing them blinking is definitely a good idea.

...cockpit voice recorder is so useful on aircraft - they not only hear the pilots talking/moving or not, but they can even hear the tiniest sounds...

Personally, I like the indicators to be fairly quiet, especially in such a peaceful car.

Given dashcams have been around for well over 10 years, it's incredibly disappointing no manufacturers have thought to offer a built-in one as an optional extra - it might even be able to use existing cameras that form part of the safety systems.  They could then incorporate extra data like indicators, brake lights and headlights active.

The expertise of air crash investigators never ceases to amaze me (I like reading AAIB [Air Accidents Investigation Branch] reports when I'm flying to help pass the time - actually makes me  feel even safer!).  In one case, the Flight Data Recorder had failed, so the investigators went and measured the gaps between every slab of concrete on the runway.  They then timed the sound of the wheels running over the joins from the Cockpit Voice Recorder and were able to calculate second by second it's position on the runway, speed, rate of acceleration, and the exact time of lift off (rotation).  With sounds leading up to the crash they were able to ascertain the probable cause of the incident.

• Like 1

Doesn't the indicator audibilty level depend on where the unit is located? Years ago various cars I've owned had it fixed on opposite sides of the bulkhead, those inside the car naturally being much more audible.

And Pete - I always read the AAIB Reports too, and also the RAIB (rail) equivalent ones.  Very impressed with the level of investigation they undertake.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links