Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Touch 2 with go

arthurpint

I have a two year old Toyota Rav with Touch2 with Go.

i might be wrong but did I read there was free map updates for 3 years somewhere.

i just sought advice on uploading and was quoted some ridiculous price by Toyota GB.

i did go through the Internet initially which I followed with advice from YouTube  up to the point of pushing the button to make a purchase but decided the £109 was a crazy price especially as I needed to take a chance the down loading to my computer first then downloading to a flash memory stick finally uploading to my car was an expensive risk if it don't work.

53 minutes ago, arthurpint said:

i might be wrong but did I read there was free map updates for 3 years somewhere.

3 years was initially free if you had the + system. Then at some point it became an offer with all nav but you will need to check the exact date (I suspect it may be later than your car).

£109 is actually cheap compared to many other car manufacturer's updates but of course dear compared to free Google Maps etc.

My car was first registered 30/9/15.

it has Toyota 2 Go and had traffic jam warnings which still work.

why do they make it so difficult ?

main dealer obviously charges in Toyota GB I spoke to say £109 so where is the free map updates like sat Nav manufacturers mostly all give these days.

sadly £109 is a lot if it is supposed to be free if it is free map updates.

Some sat nav manufacturers offer free updates to stand alone models, but not all models.

Sat nav systems used by vehicle manufacturers are different - most use bespoke mapping designed for them by mapping companies, and some vehicle manufacturers either provide free updates for a limited period or chargeable updates from day one.

Interesting that on eBay offer updates for the Toyota 2 go £70.

Toyota GB were very agreeable even the guy admits the update is expensive and few folk bother, because roads don't change that much.

Updates available via eBay may not be legitimate.

Yes, no-one on the forum has said the updates are cheap, but the cost of updates are one of the drawbacks with factory fit sat nav systems, regardless of the vehicle manufacturer.

At the end of the day it is your choice - whether to update or not, and which avenue you choose to use.

3 hours ago, arthurpint said:

main dealer obviously charges in Toyota GB I spoke to say £109 so where is the free map updates like sat Nav manufacturers mostly all give these days.

As I said, if you had a Go + system then you got 3 years free updates from registration. At a later date (I suspect March 2016 but you would need to verify) all Go systems got 3 years free from date of 1st registration. If my date is right your car predates that so is not eligible.

Toyota's map updates (which also often include updates to the system software) are amongst the most reasonably priced from car manufacturers. They have to pay licencing fees for the data to their suppliers so they are going to charge the end customer to recover/profit.

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Updates available via eBay may not be legitimate.

Yes, no-one on the forum has said the updates are cheap, but the cost of updates are one of the drawbacks with factory fit sat nav systems, regardless of the vehicle manufacturer.

At the end of the day it is your choice - whether to update or not, and which avenue you choose to use.

I agree entirely with that.

However my point is if there is a free map update service how does that operate ?

1 hour ago, arthurpint said:

However my point is if there is a free map update service how does that operate ?

Posts in the following thread describe how the free update system operates - 

Good luck Harters make sure you are up to date because when you leave the showroom trying to get a clear answer about free map updates from Toyota GB or the dealers is like an obstacle course.

3 hours ago, arthurpint said:

Good luck Harters make sure you are up to date because when you leave the showroom trying to get a clear answer about free map updates from Toyota GB or the dealers is like an obstacle course.

Harters was due to pick up his car last March 1st, hopefully he is sorted by now. :wink:

8 hours ago, arthurpint said:

According to date of 1st registration. This post below may be of some use as well.

Thanks Heidifirst.

like others I was told at the dealers of a 3 year free update.

i have been in contact with Toyota GB and perhaps they should read the advice as well, informed the opinion that there is lots of confusion which certainly does not improve customer relations.

your advice is he only comment I have read that is understandable.

thanks

Artur

• 4 months later...

Ladies and Gents talking to Toyota GB was a waste of time to be honest one of the guys there just told me don’t bother nothing much changed on the update.

My Rav was due for a service I took it in to The main dealers who could not have been more helpful after I told them about the saga of seeking advice.

the service manager said don’t worry we will do it during the service free but it takes about an hour, that was no problem.

the update version is completely different it is much better easier to use and worth updating, so ignore the doubters and get it done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links