Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashboard warning lights

meself

Hi All,

For the first time in 10+ years, dashboard warning lights have come on in my 2006 Toyota Corolla (D-4D). The Battery and fuel filter lights have both come on at the same time, which makes me suspicious that the fault may be electric based, rather than mechanical, as the odds of both failing simultaneously after 10 years seems exceedingly slim to me. What do people here think? I've booked it into the Toyota dealership to have it checked out, who'll charge me £108 just to look at it, but I'd be grateful for any hints or experience from members of this forum as to what they think may be the issue.

Thanks.

Well have to ask the obvious question has the fuel filter been changed recently, according to the Haynes manual it should be changed every 20k miles or 2 years ?

Fully detailed in the Haynes manual if you want to diy.

Any garage can read out  and clear the OBD11 / check lights for a small fee, eg  £5 or £10 or even free as they once did for me, or you can buy a basic code reader for about £25 and do it yourself, easy enough.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the fuel filter was replaced last month during a full service (big 120k miles service, included timing belt).

Think I would be a bit suspicious that check light has come on so close to the service, did you tell your Toyota garage  its just a month since their*  service ?

* assume you are talking about a genuine Toyota dealer  servicing the car, bet you did not get much change from £700  for all that ..?

Seems there is a fuel level switch at the bottom of the filter unit, it could be faulty or the wire worked loose/ disconnected ?

Might be worth getting yourself a Haynes Manual ( eg from Halfords etc) so you can check out the simpler things for yourself.

It has detailed descriptions and photos of all the common service items and more.

Yes, it was a Toyota dealer, and cost £650. I'm still wincing. In fact, they botched a couple of things, including leaving the metal plate in front of the tow loop under the engine extending downwards, so I kept grounding myself on every speed bump until I pushed it back into position. Ho-hum. Anyway, that's another story. I've lost confidence in the Toyota dealership, after many years of good service, so tomorrow I've booked it in with an independent local mechaninc who comes widely recommended. I'll report back his findings.

The combination of the two lights suggests a voltage issue, the Battery warning is indicating a Battery charge issue so either the Battery is faulty and not taking/holding a charge or the alternator is faulty and not providing sufficient power to the car and charge to the battery. The fuel filter light will on because the voltage issue has stopped the fuel heater from working, as the heater is a high power user its the first circuit to get "upset" by the low voltage

• Like 2

As a follow up, it was indeed the alternator. Replacing that fixed both warning lights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links