Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Auto box?

sproutdreamer

Is the auto 1.33 Yaris say year 08 the same auto box as the 08 auto Avensis 1.8?

I'm pretty sure the Yaris had the MMT (Multi Mode Transmission) auto box until fairly recently, which is actually a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch, and is totally different box to the Avensis.  We had an 11 plate Auris with the MMT box and it's by far the worst auto box I've ever driven (and I've driven lots of autos over the last 35 years or so).  A tell-tale is the gear lever selector - if it has neutral in the middle, an 'away from you' position for reverse, and a 'towards you' position for drive (plus the sideways position for manual mode) then it's the MMT box and is to be avoided at all costs.  If it has the more traditional P-R-N-D-3-2 set-up then I'm wrong and it has a more regular auto box.

Just to add, from the mk2 Yaris 2005 and up to the Mk3 2011 all Yaris models in Europe had the MMT automated manual transmission. An 08 Yaris would have the earlier 1.3 2SZ-FE 86bhp 5 speed MMT, Toyota introduced the 1.33 1NR-FE 99bhp 6 speed MMT in November 2008 so as the registration changed to a 58 in September 2008 it is possible a 58 could be either the earlier 1.3 or later 1.33

Whilst both engines are very good and very reliable the 1.33 with the 6 speed is the better choice as the 6 speed MMT was far improved over the earlier 5 speed, just remember that it is not a traditional automatic, drive the car first and decide if the transmission suits your needs.

In my opinion, all those single clutch 'automated manual' boxes from all manufacturers were the spawn of the devil......and any that still survive will, sooner or later, lighten the wallet of anyone that buys / owns one.

On 27/08/2017 at 7:55 PM, Berisford said:

In my opinion, all those single clutch 'automated manual' boxes from all manufacturers were the spawn of the devil......and any that still survive will, sooner or later, lighten the wallet of anyone that buys / owns one.

I agree, even though the newer ones are much improved, they can develop far more reasons (more like problems....) for you to visit Toyota than the traditional or CVT boxes. 

One word: AVOID.

I can handle how they (MMT) drive, but reliability goes out the window.

An example of cost reductio ad absurdum.

Interesting to note most manufacturers moved away from them, but the newer ASG/DSG aren't much better.

Thanks for all the good advice about the bad MMT auto boxes. One further question. My wife sometimes has bad arthitis in her left hand and then can struggle with the handbrake. She manages fine with our Avensis as with the auto "creep" she never needs the handbrake for hill starts except the steepest of hills and in Cheshire that really is never.

Does the CVT box on say an 11 Yaris have creep similar to the Avensis? This is a deal breaker for her and if no creep then no Yaris and it would have to be a Honda Jazz. I prefer the Yaris but the Jazz is also a good car with auto CVT!

Yes, the Yaris CVT does have 'creep'......it won't hold you on steep hills but I don't think any auto will.....in fact I often knock it into neutral to avoid the creep pulling......either way, I don't very often (if at all) use the handbrake on our Yaris when out and about during normal driving in rural Nottinghamshire. 

18 minutes ago, Berisford said:

........ but the Jazz is also a good car with auto CVT!

The 2008-2015 Jazz also had an automated manual transmission (the 'i-SHIFT') for the initial three years or so. This was replaced by a CVT from around February 2011.

The cvt on my 12 plate 1.8 Avensis had creep, every bit as good as the creep on my 2005 Avensis with the traditional auto (almost definitely the same box you have in your 08 Avensis).  I'd assume the Yaris cvt to be similar.

Finally I did not want to pay circa £5.5k for a 61 or later Yaris for local use only so I went the other way and got a retro 04 Yaris with the older Toyota auto box. none of that fancy dancy multimode stuff . It looks very much like the 2000 Corolla gearchange that we had about 15 years ago. The LED speedo and gauges are a bit surreal though. Only done 45k miles so hope it is ok when I pick it up tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

I went the other way and got a retro 04 Yaris with the older Toyota auto box. none of that fancy dancy multimode stuff .

1.0 litre or 1.3?  As far as I'm aware, for the 1.0 litre, Toyota replaced the previous Freetronic auto box in the Yaris with the MMT in 2003. 

Its a 1.3. Yes I have noticed that some pre-05 Yaris's are MMT and some are the older auto boxes. I had not made the connection between box and engine size!

I'm not sure when it was introduced, but look to see if it has HSA (Hill Start Assist). It holds the brakes on until you apply throttle, even with your foot off the foot brake (though don't sit with your foot off the brake, as after a time it may think you want the brakes releasing, and roll backwards!).

11 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm not sure when it was introduced, but look to see if it has HSA (Hill Start Assist). It holds the brakes on until you apply throttle, even with your foot off the foot brake (though don't sit with your foot off the brake, as after a time it may think you want the brakes releasing, and roll backwards!).

Mine does, it's called a handbrake.:laugh:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links