Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake drum check-up

kaliope

It's recommended that you take a look into the brake drum once in a while to make sure all is fine, the cylinder is not leaky etc. I made a how to

• Like 1

Is that the first time the rear drums have been removed at 88,000 kms?

The second. They were removed at 50,000kms last time

A useful guide Paul. One point I would like to add is that not all brake linings are asbestos free  so may be safer to wipe down with a damp cloth instead of risking your health by risking breathing in the lung damaging dust

Anyone know if there is a gap at the rear of the brake drum to direct a garden hose to wash out any crap?

I was thinking about doing this, then going for a drive dry them out. Then they could get a clean without resorting to taking the drum off.

Good idea, or waste of time?

Hi, l'm pretty sure that there is not. The only way to do this job properly is to remove the drums.

Then you can check the wheel cyclinders for leaks and any seized springs, or the adjuster mechanisms.

The last time he checked his brakes was approximately 15000 miles ago. He didn't say what work he did the 

last time they were checked.