Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Pump and Invertor Pump replacement?

mpm235

Hello,

My 08 Gen 2 is now at 110,000 miles. I'm thinking of getting the water pump (and belt / coolant/radiator cap) replaced. Should I also be thinking of the Inverter coolant pump (and related ancillaries) replaced at the same time? (this would be preventative maintenance; I have no problems at all at the minute, but I don't wait to wait for stuff to go wrong). Also, can either / both jobs be done by a general mechanic/garage, or does it have to be main dealer? Many thanks for any replies.

cheers, Mark

A competent mechanic should be able to do these jobs, but I would select one with Prius experience, just so you're not paying them to learn how to do the work.

Do you normally use Mr.T for your regular servicing etc.? If so I would definitely get a quote from them, there might be some room for a bit of negotiation if you were a known customer of theirs. Plus you should get peace of mind and some sort of warranty on work carried out.

At the end of the day it all depends on the relationship between your wallet and your wheels I suppose.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. By all means replace the coolant and possibly the belt and caps if required, but why change the pumps when you could be introducing the risk of problems by disturbing them ?

There are Gen 2 taxis in the US that have gone 300,000 miles plus without changing the pumps, remember it's a Toyota, renowned for their reliability.

See the "200,000 miles and 7 years in a Prius" post below. :smile: