Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota avensis - headlights t25

Jono69

I found the headlights on the 57  avensis are really quite poor a night time. I also have condensation in one of the lights.they are a we bit better with a new bulb.

I'm of thinking changing both the headlight units. Question is are the lights always going to be poor by design as I have seen many complaints about their quality. As I got this car at 6 years old never knew what lights were like new.

Cheers

Yeah lights aren't that good to be honest.you need to find out if your unit is leaking somewhere check if bulb cover is on right.dry with a hair dryer and try nightbreaker bulbs.

I've experienced the same on my 2004 with original HIDs. I've read that the reflectors burn out, which leads to bad performance. As of now, my old T22 with halogen bulbs lights up better than my T25 with HID. Won't help to buy used lamps from the breaker, as it's gonna be a hit or miss, and Toyota will rob you for a new pair. Put in new reflectors by yourself or let it be, unless you wanna spend heaps of £.

15 hours ago, Jono69 said:

I found the headlights on the 57  avensis are really quite poor a night time. I also have condensation in one of the lights.they are a we bit better with a new bulb.

I'm of thinking changing both the headlight units. Question is are the lights always going to be poor by design as I have seen many complaints about their quality.

My experience gained from a 57 plate Tourer:

Upgrade bulbs (e.g. Philips Xtremvision or Osram Nightbreaker series) will noticeably improve the amount of light in the beam pattern but they won't really extend that pattern - that seems to be governed by the design of the headlight.

This problem might be a guaranty issue. Lights in my 2008 were replaced after previous owner complained about fogging. Were practically new when i bought the car 4years ago (xenon version), work great imo

Good luck! 

38 minutes ago, Kris2008avensis said:

This problem might be a guaranty issue. Lights in my 2008 were replaced after previous owner complained about fogging. Were practically new when i bought the car 4years ago (xenon version), work great imo

Good luck! 

I'm not sure whether or not Toyota will be willing to cover this on a 10 year old car (57 plate = late 2007/early 2008). They weren't willing to do mine on goodwill. Understandable, as mine is an '04 :tongue: But I reckon the same goes for the rest of the mk2 range.

I got a quote of about £300 for both headlights which I thought was  not too bad from dealer. Keeping the headlights not really an option for the winter. Have tried a bulb change but improvements were slight. I would not expect anything from Toyota as the car is ten years old and serviced out with the dealer network. sounds like the lights are going to of limited ability no matter what.

cheers

My car is an 07 TR so has the regular H7 headlights. I drive a lot at night so can go through bulbs of all types regularly. I have not tried the nightbreaker types in this car because in previous cars the lifespan is not so good and they cost a lot. My experience has been that the bulbs from Toyota are the best combination of brightness and lifespan for the money. Make sure the beams are lined up properly and you don't have the height adjuster turned down too. If the outer glass is discoloured or not clear then you should be able to rectify it by polishing with tcut. I had a Vauxhall Vectra before which took the same bulbs but had noticeably weaker headlights so I am quite happy with the Avensis in comparison.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2007 T25 T4 H/B and the high-beams & dips are appalling. Halfords have a BOGOF offer at the moment on +150% and +130%  headlight bulbs, full and dipped-beam.

I'll give them a shot and post back; they cannot possibly be worse.

Halfords_order.jpg

Edited by mathepac
spell and of/on confusion

Those members with Premium membership should be able to get a further 15% off with the Halfords discount card.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mathepac said:

I just bought a 2007 T25 T4 H/B and the high-beams & dips are appalling. Halfords have a BOGOF offer at the moment on +150% and +130%  headlight bulbs, full and dipped-beam.

I'll give them a shot and post back; they cannot possibly be worse.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-group-test 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972RVS2 Racingvision-150%25-H7 Bulb-Set/dp/B01LWPJF1J?

• Like 1

I am really impressed with mine, surprised by this thread....Much better than my Ford focus mk1 which was very difficult to drive at night when raining, seemed to be eating carrot salads all the time because visibility was so poor!

Also the windscreen is less foggy in the winter. I have heard that brighter bulbs do not last as long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m456an said:

Also the windscreen is less foggy in the winter. I have heard that brighter bulbs do not last as long.

The A/C window / mirror defog feature is in fact excellent and yes some of the brighter bulbs do have a shorter life than standard (6 to 12 month warranties) 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A lot cheaper thanks! €43 plus free shipping to Ireland for two pairs of Philips H1 & H7 as against €88.80 from Halfords

Check out eurocarparts

• Like 1

On 22/11/2017 at 9:34 PM, frankie406 said:

Check out eurocarparts

Thanks but €53.73 plus delivery (or fuel to drive to nearest outlet)!! I like to shop local but 25% more is nutz.

£31 free delivery/ €34 Philips bulbs +130 

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced (or asked a tech friend to replace) the H1s & H7s with the Philips +130% and +150% versions. The effect was immediate. On dipped headlamps under street lights, signs reflectors, road markings, his viz jackets on cyclists, etc were crystal clear.  On motorways, other main roads and country roads the high-beams are excellent. No complaints from oncoming traffic with beam leveller in the normal position. Well worth the few quid from a safety perspective.

Thank you Amazon.co.uk, and :( to halfords.ie