Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To buy or not to buy

Tooter

Hi I'm looking at buying a pre facelift 2003 190 t sport celica. I would like to know if the suffer from the oil burn problem I've been for a test drive and like the car apart from the clutch biteing high. But my main worry is the oil burn the early celiacs have. 

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Only 140's suffer from the oil burning problem, Jon..but for the tiny difference in price, a face lift would be a better choice.

As Kev says,...you shouldn't have any oil burning issues with the 190...the clutch may need replacing which will take about 300+ of your notes if it's done by a garage.

I had the clutch done in my previous Celica...IIRC it was around £350 with new fluid and shaft seals.

Great cars...you'll not be disappointed. I loved mine and it was only back issues on long drives that made me sell it...but then I am an old git.!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Some good answers already although not only is the facelift updated, I believe it is a tad lighter as well as slightly faster accelerating (2 tenths of a second to 60) the prefacelift didn't have a t sport it was the vvtli 190 so if t sport badges other alterations may have been made. Make sure you check it is a 190 as some 140 have badges on so they can be sold on to unsuspecting buyers.
Easy to check the engine bay all 190s have a metal intake plenum where as the 140s were plastic but as you say you have driven it so make sure you have checked lift kicks in before purchasing also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, Tom..the 190 was on sale from 2000 to 2002, the pre face lift T Sport, from 2001 to 2002.

The T Sport had the Dynamic Lip and Skirts, and also Multi CD Player deleted when face lifted in the Autumn of 2002.

• 2 months later...

My 190 is 2000, has done 165k miles and is still going very strong! Only a slight belt issue and oil is leaking slowly, but other than that, it's a decent engine.