Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to buying

Mike2y2d

Hi guys, im new to the forum. Just done a quick search and couldn't really find anything regarding my query, im looking at buying a Celica (my childhood dream car :D). I was wandering if there is anything i should be looking out for when going to see a Celica. I may be viewing a 2006 vvtl-i GT model some time next week, it only 65k miles on the clock and from what i can see the MoT history has been fairly good passing every test with just minor normal wear and tear. I should also mention that the car is a Japanese import. 

Thanks in advanced 

Hi, Mike..and welcome to T.O.C.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such model as a JDM GT, as they were a limited edition for the UK market.

Do you have a link to that particular car?.

According to Wikipedia, Japanese domestic market versions were the SS-I and SS-II (with or without the super strut package), with a limited edition TRD Sports M.

The following extract is as regards the UK GT - "In 2005, Toyota GB released the Celica GT. This is not the same as the GT in North America. The British GT is actually the T-Sport with Traction Control, different bodykit, different alloy wheels, 30 mm lowered suspension and part leather part alcantara interior."

Thanks for the speedy replies. 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to Wikipedia, Japanese domestic market versions were the SS-I and SS-II (with or without the super strut package), with a limited edition TRD Sports M.

The following extract is as regards the UK GT - "In 2005, Toyota GB released the Celica GT. This is not the same as the GT in North America. The British GT is actually the T-Sport with Traction Control, different bodykit, different alloy wheels, 30 mm lowered suspension and part leather part alcantara interior."

Im pretty sure its a British one just being sold by a company that does imports as the car itself has a full Toyota service history within the Uk.
Here's a link to the car

Corrosion on the front, and especially rear subframe

Radiators leak from the bottom corner, with the weeping of coolant difficult to spot with the under engine plastics in place

Rear brake sliders seize easily, unless regularly lubricated

Rainwater ingress into spare wheel well

The TTE (Toyota Team Europe) lowered springs fitted to a GT, prone to snapping on the front, even on low mileage examples

Uneven rear tyre wear

Corrosion on the fuel tank filler neck

Gas tailgate struts prone to failing to hold the heavy tailgate up, especially during the winter

On a GT, you'll find the centre caps on the Fondmetal Tech5 wheels, and Dynamic front lip are no longer available to order from Toyota. Thunder Grey is also a notoriously difficult colour to match, should the car need any paintwork

On the list above, only the rear subframe would be an expensive repair

Hope that helps, Mike :smile:

• Thanks 1

Wow lol thank you Kev, im finding it hard to get a day where im off work to go see this car and it has a good amount of interest lol its a good 3 to 4 hour drive from me that car. Ill keep looking anyway in case it falls through. I have the finances so i will be getting one at some point lol. Thanks again for the tips ill find out tomorrow about the car i linked.
Thanks again and thanks for the welcome :) 

Wee update, didn't get the thunder grey one. I managed to get a red gt :) so happy, was a little more expensive obviously but worth it the car is immaculate. Should be picking it up next week or early week after 

• Like 1

We need some pics. of the GT, the "Red" limited edition, the 190, and the T Sport, Mike :smile:

46 minutes ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

We need some pics. of the GT, the "Red" limited edition, the 190, and the T Sport, Mike :smile:

Will post some pics when I pick it up :) is the red model really a limited edition? I also found out the one I bought is one of the last in production coming off the line in September 2006. Nice wee find, had it's show of some battles with some chips on the front bumper but quite unnoticeable lol there was quite a considerable crack in the headlight but I'll get that sorted :) apart from that the car was perfect, very little rust on the under carriage, checked the struts for the boot lid, the coolant liquid was a little bit on the low side but did rise when the car had warmed up (think it had been sitting a while) the only pictures I have ate the ones the garage took for the advert.

toyota-celica-vvtl-i-gt-S2897899-4.jpg

Looks nice, Mike...I still miss my Celi even after 1.5 years...simply loved driving it...but long journey comfort had to prevail I'm afraid.

The coolant is doing what it should..sits low at cold..and rises as the car warms up.

Enjoy.!:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 8:24 AM, RUToyota said:

Looks nice, Mike...I still miss my Celi even after 1.5 years...simply loved driving it...but long journey comfort had to prevail I'm afraid.

The coolant is doing what it should..sits low at cold..and rises as the car warms up.

Enjoy.!:biggrin:

Thanks Neil :) Ill be picking up the car tomorrow :) i cant wait, loved the celica ever since i got a Tamiya 1/24 celica model kit when the Gen 7's first came out (was 1999 or 2000, a good 17-18 years ago lol). Its a dream car for me :D My inlaws think im crazy lol they drive a v8 s4 quattro which is nice and powerful but the celica is the car for me :D

• Like 1