Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New (2008) Auris owner

shanemc

Hi, I've recently bought an 08 1.4 d4d Auris, it's my first European assembled Toyota, and tbh I'm pretty disappointed with the build quality, compared to my other Toyotas, a mk1 Yaris and a Hiace powervan, the interior plastics being my main gripe as yet, namely the flimsy plastic around the cigarette lighter, and the cigarette lighter itself, the glovebox lid, and the creaky door check straps. Has anyone had any luck swapping certain components for better made Japanese stuff?

Also, is there much of an improvement in interior quality in the facelift 2010-12 model?

Thanks.

Shane 

What year and model was your Yaris?

I've had two Auris from new (2009 & 2012), and the perceived quality of some interior plastics compared to my previous 2006 Corolla, was different. Having said that the only interior issue I had over six plus years of ownership, was a broken cupholder on the 2009 model (replaced under warranty).

Yes the upper glovebox lid may seem flimsy but didn't cause any problem.

As regards the 2010-2012 facelift the main differences were the different design handbrake, and soft touch plastic over the upper part of the dashboard.

The dashboard of the Japanese domestic market Auris will be the same as the European Auris.

I think that's basically just what the early Auris was like regardless of where it was built. I've never seen a Japan built Auris 'in the metal' but from pictures most of the interior trim appears to be identical to the European built cars.

My stepdaughter's French built 2002 Yaris arguably has better quality trim than my Auris, and our British built Avensis has better quality trim than either of them!

Creaky door check straps on any car can usually be sorted with spray-grease.

That's the thing though, for sure the jdm and uk interiors will look identical, but I have a feeling the actual quality of the plastics themselves and clips and fastenings to hold them together may be different and not as high quality in the uk assembled cars. I've nothing against the actual assembly of the uk cars, but I feel the quality of the components the guys and gals in the uk factory bolt onto the cars simply aren't as precisionally made as the jdm and Japanese assembled components. One experience I've had, my 2001 J vin Yaris and a VK vin 2001 French assembled Yaris I also had at the time, the glovebox (here I am ranting about gloveboxes again ha!) of the Jap car, when open, you could simply snap it smoothly shut with a little flick of your finger, the French glovebox had to be pushed all the way closed with slight noticeable resistance, the hinge assembly was no where near as precise. Also, the door check straps were completely worn on the French car, the doors would swing open right out to their limit if the car was parked sideways on a slight incline. Both these cars looked identical on the interior, you couldn't tell the difference just visually without touching or opening etc any part of the interior. But the quality of plastics and hinges was lower in the French assembled car imo. Thats why I'd love to compare a jap and a uk assembled Auris first hand. 

Not all European market Auris were built in the UK - all three door Auris were built in Turkey (including the van version) and all five door Auris were built in the UK.

i'd be very surprised if the trim clips and parts where made from different materials as toyota gave to the world

lean manufacturing , using this technique the same part will be used in as many car variants as possible as this

reduces production costs if this can be achieved,the only reason i could see for a change in material would be

for climates where heat or the cold would affect the trim parts

The same part design used, not the same actual part itself. Identical looking, but not the same, made by local suppliers to each plant worldwide 

47 minutes ago, shanemc said:

The same part design used, not the same actual part itself. Identical looking, but not the same, made by local suppliers to each plant worldwide 

Not necessarily so.

For example Toyota engines (including hybrid engines) and machined components made in Deeside, Wales are exported to Japan, Brazil, South Africa and Turkey.