Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange issue

Andy_vvti

Hi guys as title bit puzzled on this, as I switch on headlights first dim headlights come on then when switching to dipped beam it takes like 8 to 10 seconds then they come on suddenly,sometimes they don't come on I gotta switch dims off then switch on for them to work but they seem really delayed,can anyone please advice me as don't want to be stranded one night running dim lights,many thanks

Sounds an odd  one.

It could be caused by several things, damaged/broken wires/connectors, faulty lights  switch or headlight relays.

Are you looking to fix it yourself or get a garage /auto electrician to sort it ?

Hoping to sort myself out just hoping it's something simple or if anyone experienced same 

Checked fuses on right hand side engine bay all seem good,anything else I should check

Lots, ....but  most of it would need a multimeter to test the circuit out properly  and not something to easily take you though via a forum post.

As just mentioned to El Commander in his post, this link lets you download your owners manual which shows all the fuses.

Visual checks you could do, the fuses inside the car, behind the glove box, the ones that power the headlights, any signs of burning of the fuse or the fuse holder ?

Also, with a mirror and torch, remove the headlight bulb rear covers and inspect for any sign of frayed wires or burning. ( it can be done without removing anything else)

Assume the headlight bulbs are standard types, have they been replaced recently ??

After that its really test meter stuff....

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM12A23U/pdf/OM12A23U_edited.pdf

• Thanks 1

Headlight bulbs were replaced nearly a year ago by me,it's really random just tried again it may even be a sticking relay? 

But not sure if they even use a relay for lights,I'm gna have a look at that link and see what I can investigate,couldn't see anything burnt or any smell but then again iv only looked for fuses in the engine bay,just out of curiosity so theres fuses under the glove box? And anywhere else?

thanks for ur replie really appreciated 

That link to the owners manual shows where /what the other fuses are, not aware of any other fuse locations .

This pic might help locate the relays, though its from a US manual, so there might be some different /extra bits

000403.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well just double checked the fuses in engine bay for h/lamps,pulled them out popped the back in all seems fine,but shall see later tonight as heading out fingers crossed,thanks for diagram oldcodger.