Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paint finnish on the bonnet has like a crazy paving appearance, comments would be appreciated?

olddriver

The paint finnish on the bonnet and top of the front wings of my Corolla has a crazy paving appearance, the remaining paint is OK.  The surface paint appears to have cracked and then shunk.  The bonnet and the two front wings were painted six years ago.  I think the problem started around the time of the hot weather in June this year, and may have been caused by the hot weather because the pattern is only visible on the top surfaces and not the side and front that were also painted, the bonnet was supposed to be new.  Previous to June there did not appear to be anything wrong with the paint finish.

I've looked at the garage's website and they appear to only guarantee the paint work for three years, so I suppose there will be no comeback.

Just wondered if anyone has any comments and or advice.

IMG_0664 Corolla.jpg

IMG_0665 Corolla.jpg

Hi,

As you can see from  this link or a quick search on the web shows its a common problem on  re-sprayed panels  due to a variety of causes.

The only option is a proper respray;   assume cutting back to bare metal or the original primer the only way to go.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/21482/paint-is-cracking-and-showing-lines-like-dried-mud.

Paint warranty,  doubt it  ... who did it , Toyota ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks oldcodger, on re-examining it, the cracks appear to be in the lacquer and the paint does does not look too bad, and hence the repair may not be as expensive as I at first thought.

Even if the laquer the bit with cracks you have to strip the paint off regardless and redo it as the laquer needs to be applied when the paint under it is tacky still to bond.  You can probably get the bonnet resprayed professionally for 300 ish I'd imagine.  I've tried fixing laquer issues and long term it makes it look worse 

• Thanks 1