Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Rav 4 can I replace the 2.2 with a 2 ltr D4D

CHERRYVILLE

Hi all,  my son has a 2010 ( March reg'd ) 2.2 Rav 4 with approximately  50000 miles on it. It is starting to display the historic head gasket problem.

Loss of coolant, interior  hot air  fluctuating , temp gauge heading north and rad fan appears more noisy.

As the car will not qualify for Mr T to carry out expensive repair due to age I am reluctant to buy a used 2.2 engine from a breaker as I have lost faith in the 2.2 engine.

I myself  bought my 2004 Avensis 2 ltr  D4D  12 years ago and it has given me no mechanical problems of any nature, currently has 113500 on the clock.

Question is will a similar engine to my  Avensis , size and year  fit the Rav 4. Reason for asking is I believe the pre facelift Avensis ( mine)  was the last to use the better , more reliable engine compared to the face lift models which have from shortly after their introduction have built a bad reputation of H/G  failures due to a number of  design flaws.

Thanks in advance to replies.

CHERRYVILLE

The AD engines in the Rav4 affected by the head gasket issue that Toyota provided goodwill cover for, had production dates between July 2005 and December 2008. Your son's Rav4 would have been out of scope of the cover as it was produced outside of the production run of affected engines. See

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The AD engines in the Rav4 affected by the head gasket issue that Toyota provided goodwill cover for, had production dates between July 2005 and December 2008. Your son's Rav4 would have been out of scope of the cover as it was produced outside of the production run of affected engines. See

Thanks for the reply with link which is useful.  

I have just completed an examination of the Rav 4 over my garage  walk through pit.

Checked oil level  after car stood for approx 40 minutes with dip stick removed. Oil level at required level on dipstick and no evidence of water contamination as is the case with oil filler cap. When running engine there is no coolant coming through the overflow on expansion tank, cold or hot. No evidence of white smoke when engine was  revved, or excessive water from exhaust. The plastic expansion tank remains very clean on the inside with no sign of oil residue being present.

With engine running at tick  over speed coolant loss was approx 18 mm or 3/4" over a  15 minute period.

I have a very dry / clean engine from the underside with no evidence of any coolant drips. I even laid paper roll across the side of the  engine cradle below the pulleys but not a drip. Any suggestions as to where the coolant, now clear water is disappearing to. Presently the Rav can only be used around town for local runs due to the disappearance of coolant. 

After phoning Mr T re problem the  Rav 4  is booked in for next Thur  the 21st Sep.

Got positive vibes from service manager when he said. as my car has 7 Toyota service stamps and just approaching 58k miles we will do our best for you as Toyota warranty dose not always end at given dates especially with your cars Toyota service history and low miles.

Will keep the forum posted on problem and just how well Mr T  looks after its customers.

I can add, this is the same Toyota garage I had service work done on my Avensis and the service manager knows I am a Toyota customer over the past 12 years. 

On 14/09/2017 at 3:33 PM, CHERRYVILLE said:

I have a very dry / clean engine from the underside with no evidence of any coolant drips. I even laid paper roll across the side of the  engine cradle below the pulleys but not a drip. Any suggestions as to where the coolant, now clear water is disappearing to. Presently the Rav can only be used around town for local runs due to the disappearance of coolant. 

Have you checked for the waterpump weeping?

Yes,  this is the reason I placed paper roll under the front of the engine plus a visual inspection with a small  inspection mirror on a telescopic  stem.

As said earlier the Rav is booked in this week to Mr T  for assessment.

Will report back to forum for others benefit of the outcome .

it may only weep under pressure (i.e. when running). My 57 plate Avensis had that - replaced foc by Mr T as apparently it wasn't uncommon. Mileage would fit too.

Hi Heidfirst,  I know where your coming from. I had the engine running for approx  15 minutes while I  was underneath it in the my garage pit but not a drip to be seen. Temp was up to normal. Hopefully Mr T can  resolve the mystery.  

BTW  they (Mr T ) indicated to me that I should not have to worry about cost.

Hi Guys, as promised I would keep you posted re Mr T and my Rav 4 engine problem.

Car was left with Mr T as arranged for assessment. Had phone call to say the head gasket was at the early stages of going and engine will require striped down.

Also told the garage was in contact with HQ  and all efforts are being made to have Toyota to pay for the work and I assume parts as required based  mainly on the 7 Toyota stamps on service book plus only 58000 miles on the car.

Told it could be Monday before word comes back of decision at HQ .

Watch this space !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 9/21/2017 at 7:28 PM, CHERRYVILLE said:

Hi Guys, as promised I would keep you posted re Mr T and my Rav 4 engine problem.

Car was left with Mr T as arranged for assessment. Had phone call to say the head gasket was at the early stages of going and engine will require striped down.

Also told the garage was in contact with HQ  and all efforts are being made to have Toyota to pay for the work and I assume parts as required based  mainly on the 7 Toyota stamps on service book plus only 58000 miles on the car.

Told it could be Monday before word comes back of decision at HQ .

Watch this space !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,  had phone call from local Toyota garage to say  Mr T  is offering  NO  assistance with my engine repair.

I am indeed disappointed  due to the excellent Toyota service history ( 7 stamps ) and only 58k miles on the car.

Question is now what is my choice of replacement engine ?  Is the Avensis 2.2 engine  a direct replacement or do I have to stivk with one from another Rav4 .

Also what years are we talking about, my Rav is March 2010 and one of the very last prefacelift models with the 09 type  front grille.

If the Avensis engine is a direct replacement it will give me a lot more choice re availability. 

Looking forward to replies.

Same engine I think, the 2AD engine.

Went into lots of models, avensis, auris, RAV4 and the small Lexus saloon. 

Have google for TOYOTA 2AD engine

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would speak to Toyota directly and say that your a loyal customer and ask why this decision has been reached? Its not the end of the road, if you pressure them enough and ask for reasons they may go 50/50 on the bill. They are usually very good at out of warranty repairs. Raise a case with them and ask to speak to a case manager regarding the issue. 

Regards

Chris

We had issues with a 1.6 VVTi Corolla we bought new in 2002. The warranty was only for three years and after it was out of warranty in 2007 with 32K on the clock they were more than happy to replace the engine. Maybe a good idea pressuring them a bit more and hopefully they look at it as a case by case outcome.

you never know 

Thanks guys. I am actually waiting to hear back  from Toyota UK as I contacted customers services directly and opened a case.

I was told at this time they would be contacting the Toyota dealership where the car had been examined re the head gasket issue.

Should have word back from them early this coming week.

Plan B is I have my eye on a 2.2 engine with a warranted 26000 miles on it  for £700.  ( minus turbo, injectors, alternator and diesel pump )  It is currently in a 2011 damaged RAV4.

Will keep you posted on outcome.

Hi Henry.

I feel you should chat to this man re the missing parts on this 2nd hand engine you have found and it's not just a question of bolting them on as they all need installing correctly.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/profile/34014-parts-king/

Regards, Mike.

Looking at this post again, a 2010 Rav4 would almost certainly be outside the range of affected engines, which for the Rav4,  had production dates from July 2005 to December 2008. So the 7 year/111,846 goodwill cover wouldn't apply.

• 1 month later...

Well Guys,  sorry for delay in update.

First of all Mr T declined any offer of help when it came to putting his hand in his pocket. I even contacted them direct restating  7 TOYOTA service on car just turned 58000 miles plus loyal customer having my Avensis  D4D since 2005 and a New 17 plate  Auris at the door (wife's car).

I  then bought a 2010 x Rav 4  2.2  engine from a 27800 crashed car, warranted miles from my local breaker who I know for 40 years.

Was able to get Toyota trained mechanic to do the switch over and all looked good.

When preparing my engine for removal he noticed my engine did not have the '5 injector' common to all 2.2 ltr  2AD engines (which the donor engine had).

On checking at his work, Toyota garage,  he discovered a small run of these engines were produced in late 2009 and they were not interchangeable with the pre and after range of 2.2 engines.

This led to me getting my £700 back for the engine and decision was made to have my own engine repaired.

3mm was skimmed of the block and same from the head. Internally my engine was in excellent condition ie bores, pistons, all bearings etc. A new water pump and thicker head gasket was fitted in the rebuild and the engine is driving perfect. £700 parts inc skim plus £250 labor.

Probably better off getting it done myself as my share of a bill from Mr  T would have cost me more.

For other members with 2.2 D4D Toyotas  around 2010  do be mindful of of this short run of engines that my Rav is fitted with should you be looking parts for engine or indeed as I a complete engine to interchange with yours.

3 hours ago, CHERRYVILLE said:

When preparing my engine for removal he noticed my engine did not have the '5 injector' common to all 2.2 ltr  2AD engines (which the donor engine had).

On checking at his work, Toyota garage,  he discovered a small run of these engines were produced in late 2009 and they were not interchangeable with the pre and after range of 2.2 engines.

It's possibly true in Eire (when did DPFs become mandatory?) but certainly not true in the UK where the 2AD-FTV was sold (at least in the Avensis) without a DPF 2005-2011.

I had a 59 plate xtr with the 150 engine and that one didn’t have a dpf or the fifth injector. My brother had an 11 plate xtr with the facelift front and that one did have a dpf and the fifth injector. 

I think around that time the EU mandated that all diesels had to have s dpf. 

Glad your sorted with your engine, on hearing your woes I bought a 2 year extended warranty for my 13 plate Icon which starts April 18 when the 5 year warranty runs out.