Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Resetting engine warning light

Hairy Nugget

My oxygen sensor keeps throwing codes, which in turn disables abs and antispin. It has been this way since I upgraded to the new type of exhaust manifold/catalyst.

The dealership has reset it a few times (for a rather hefty fee I might add), but it keeps coming back after a week or two.

It doesn't bother me that much anymore, but the car will fail it's annual inspection with these lights blinking. And since I'm fed up on spending money on this lemon and fighting with the stealership, is there any way that I can reset this myself?

4 hours ago, Hairy Nugget said:

I upgraded to the new type of exhaust manifold/catalyst.

What have you fitted?

I'd either refit the O2 sensor(as I presume you've removed it...no bung maybe? If so, remove manifold and weld one on), or you could do the sensor bypass trick. 

Once done the trick on one of my old cars, but I couldn't tell you what one it was. Just sure it meant welding in a new bung, refitting O2 sensor and tricking the engine with a diode. 

1 hour ago, Soeley said:

What have you fitted?

It was all done by the official dealership according to the recall.

I have not touched this car at all myself for warranty issues. But now the warranty is up, and I have no mechanical sympathy for this thing anymore.

Not sure if they changed the oxygen sensor in relation to the recall, but I guess that they have (or at least should)

I'll try to disconnect the Battery for 30min+ tomorrow and see if that mends it, and then go drive the !Removed! of it for an hour or so to burn residue off the bung.

Ah, reading your first post I thought you'd fitted an aftermarket manifold/catalyst.

Surely if this has been an ongoing issue with the dealer since they changed the manifold/catalyst they should still be trying solve it even after warranty?

Disconnecting Battery for 30-45mins solved it! I have driven since sunday without the lights coming back on, so it seems that the O2 sensor isn't completely dead yet.

About my strained relationship with the dealer - Before the recall happened, I had several smaller issues with the car. Wipers not working, defective instrument panel, hard to start (was a bad battery). But the "dealer breaker" was when I visited them and expressed my concern for the catalyst issue since loosing power on a highway could be extremely risky if there was people in the back seat. With the lack of crumple zones in the rear, getting rear ended is something that you surely want to avoid at all cost.

The chief mechanic then told me (in front of lots of other customers no less) that if I wanted to go around worry about this, then I should also worry about the wheels falling off by themselves. I had to understand that I had bought a TOYOTA here! And then behold, 12 months later Toyota made it an official recall.. So now I'm concerned about the wheels falling off by themselves. Well not really, but I now have zero faith in their mechanical competence and will not put my foot though their door unless it is for a recall.

Ah, sorry to hear about you bad dealer experience.