Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Gearboxes can I use?

NikkiJane

Hi all, I hope someone can advise me.

I have a Yaris 1.3 SRI dating from 2000. She's been great, 260,000 graceful miles on the clock, very few problems.

Now I am having trouble selecting gears (she's a manual), and my garage (who are old friends and I trust implicitly) recommend getting a replacement, used gearbox. They will fit it for me for about £200, if I can source one.

Not having access to a full parts catalogue, I'm a bit confused about which ones I can use. Can it be anything from a 1.3 from the pre-2006 cars? Or are there differences between, say, the 1.3 16V and the standard models?

Any advice very much appreciated, I'd love to get her up to 300,000!

Thanks in advance, 

Nikki

I never knew there was a Mark1 Yaris with SRI spec.

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to use a gearbox from any 1.3, pre 2006 car. The different specification cars were just to do with trim levels, alloy wheels etc. That being said, someone that knows a bit more about MK1 Yaris' should give you a firm answer - e.g. a 1997 1.8 MK1 Mazda MX5's use all sorts of different parts to older 1.8 models (car was tweaked for stricter regulations). You could try contacting a breakers yard who could clarify whether it would fit for you :)

Being a 2000 year I suspect your Yaris will be a Japanese built car with a chassis number beginning JT in which case you will need a gearbox from a Mk1 Japanese 1.3 2NZ engine Yaris, you might have an early French built car Chassis number beginning VN in which case you will need a MK1 French Yaris with a 1.3 2SZ engine.

If you do have a Japanese Yaris you can also use the gearbox from a 1.3 Yaris Verso

Thanks for your assistance everyone. Yes, the VIN begins with JT so she is Japanese. I have since read elsewhere that I need a box from a Japanese built car, thanks for confirming. After doing a lot of ringing round breakers today so see what people have got, the Jap 1.3s are proving to be like hens teeth!

Oh, and that's a handy tip about the Verso, thanks for that, I'll follow that up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links